The need for the protection of Roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NoahR, Nov 28, 2012.

1. NoahR

NoahR New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    People always ask what came first, the chicken or the egg, my answer is always 'neither would be here without a rooster'.
    i live in australia and am only a teenager and am new to raising chickens, i started off with 6 chicks and a large, special bred rooster which my brother caught at the local pub where my dad lives as part of a fun day.
    later a neighbour (thats not even on my fence line) complained to the counsil about "noise" when for a rooster he was very quiet. it was upsetting to have to drop him off at a friends farm.
    honestly, on behalf of roosters everywhere, i ask you to join me and stand against the rules not permiting the ownership of chickens.

roosters are important because;
    there the breeders
    there the protectors
    there the one who keeps the peace in the flock.

i miss pimp (my first rooster) very much and now i have two young roos growing from my chicks. i don't want to lose these guys.
    please help me, they barely crow and i know if this guy finds out i'll have to get rid of them.

please help by rallying together and showing people the othside of these beautiful creatures
    the fact we cant keep roosters is sexest and wrong, what if you weren't aloud somewhere because of your gender, or because you speak freely (as my roos do) i would have thought that this prejudice would have been left in the middle ages.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, I can't have roosters where I live either.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I an sorry to hear about your troubles. There are many urban areas here in the states where roosters are banned, usually due to noise concerns.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greeting, NoahR, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your rooster dilemma! [​IMG]

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't believe the noise is the issue because if it were, there are hundreds upon thousands of dogs in cities everywhere who are allowed to freely bark their fool heads off and annoy all their neighbors from 7am to 11pm when the actual noise ordinance kicks in...and there's nothing that is done about it and it's perfectly within their rights to let them bark away until a certain time in the evening. There are also folks who are allowed to blast their obnoxious stereo speakers at full blast with full base wherever they drive from morning until late in the evening and that's okay as long as it's before 11pm.

I think the "noise nuisance" is nothing more than a convenient excuse they "thunk up" to prohibit roosters.

That being said, I would not keep a rooster in a city environment out of respect for my neighbors, regardless of whether or not they have a noisy obnoxious dog. I think the ordinance is fair and I don't mind following it and I think if people want to keep roosters they need to move to the country and have their roosters, and not expect their cake and eat it too.

BUT - if the noise is the issue then the powers that be should be applying that "noise nuisance" excuse to ALL animals and people who are disrupting their neighbors daily lives (such as the annoying barking dog in their back yard or the hooligan in his car pumping his stereo). Rooster are no more annoying than those things in my opinion, and these "powers that be" are conveniently picking and choosing what they believe to be a noise nuisance and applying it however they see fit.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by