The neighbors new dog.. and a lost leash?!

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
it was about 2am and my big dog starts going off. Now he's trained to attack, maim and dismember anything that he deems bigger than him or more scary (ok not really but you get the point).. and of course I awake a couple seconds before my wife. She freezes as I roll off the bed and grab my .45 thinking something mundo scary is happining. I throw on a pair of shorts and my glasses and start checking the 1st floor. Beast the wonder mutt goes off again and he's standing at the front door, so I kill all the lights and exit after a quick peek.

I clear the front porch area and check any place that something larger than my dog can hide (as that's what he alerts on usually) and find a rather scared young dog.

Full stop, shaking and p'ing on porch in terror (the dog)...

So I say come here girl.. she runs over, jumps into my arms and suddenly I am getting full on dog breath all over my face. Such a sweet girl of a dog. About that time I hear somebody yell "sadie, come here sadie..." so I yell back, lose a dog? of course its yes... so I yell back come to the yellow house by the corner.

Apparently the yelling scared my daughters awake. One of them runs downstairs, hits the porch light as one of my neighbors walks up and I hadn't put the .45 away.

Awkwardly I holster the .45 'cuz its obvious me being a country boy and these folks I moved next to aren't used to a reaction such as mine. I carry the dog over to the fellow and ask the wife if they would like to borrow a leash to walk their dog home ('cuz it's not a lil doggy and he's holding it chest level as it squirms)...

And I know they are sorta relieved to get the dog back, freaked out by me, but now it's been 2 days and I don't have the leash back.. It's my JRT's leash and she hates going without her pink and polka dotted leash for potty..................

SSS or buy a new leash?

OK, so, sorta a joke but....... Buy a new leash? Found out it was the immediate neighbors to the south of me
wink.png

Any chance you could go over there (unarmed, of course lol) and ask if they are done with your leash?
Just tell them your dog feels naked without it maybe.

smile.png

What BorderKelpie said! Mention how your dog was barking and how that usually means something is lurking, and express your JRT's needs and that should put them at ease. Maybe.
tongue.png

all things considered (bbc phrase I know) but in the past month I've had a foster child run away with help of a natural parent who is being charged with a parental kidnapping.. I am on edge and trying my best.

Quote:
I can.. I know I can..... but. .. ... is it worth mentioning? My wife is on my case, I am in risk of my man card cuz I didn't kill dog on sight.. on and on and on and on...

It was a cute dog by the way

Quote:
I can.. I know I can..... but. .. ... is it worth mentioning? My wife is on my case, I am in risk of my man card cuz I didn't kill dog on sight.. on and on and on and on...

yuckyuck.gif

Your funny. Shooting a scared lost pet would permanently demote your man card.
lol.png

Buy them a leash.
Go over, maybe with some of your family, and meet them under better circumstances. You may end up with friends, at best. At worst, you've let them know that dogs running loose are not appreciated; and you scare them into p'ing on their porch.
gig.gif

Imp

Quote:
Just a little note to tell you that I think you and your family are awesome.

'I can.. I know I can..... but. .. ... is it worth mentioning? My wife is on my case, I am in risk of my man card cuz I didn't kill dog on sight.. on and on and on and on...

It was a cute dog by the way'

I think your man card is safe. lol

Last edited:
Quote:

She's on your case because you didn't kill a sweet, friendly, frightened dog that wasn't harming anything?! Sheesh! To me, you have a full deck of man cards, just because you were able to rightly access the situation and respond in a manner that was appropriate. Killing an innocent dog for just being there would be cowardly, but that it just my humble opinion. Real men don't shoot first, then ask questions later. They are in control of themselves. I think you did the right thing!

Back
Top Bottom