The nest box is not a toilet!

Mixedbirdies

Chirping
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok. My chickens have gotten on my nerves a bit lately. I’m pretty sure that they think the nest box is a toilet! At night instead of roosting on the roost with all the others, one of them likes to roost on the front board of the nest box and get poop all over the eggs. I’m not sure how to get her to stop. Any suggestions?
(Top picture is the nest box, bottom is the roost.)

View attachment 1610994 View attachment 1610993 Ok. My chickens have gotten on my nerves a bit lately. I’m pretty sure that they think the nest box is a toilet! At night instead of roosting on the roost with all the others, one of them likes to roost on the front board of the nest box and get poop all over the eggs. I’m not sure how to get her to stop. Any suggestions?
(Top picture is the nest box, bottom is the roost.)
Block the nest boxes off at night.
Unblock them during the day so they can lay in them.

Is the board in front of nest box higher than roost bars? They will roost whichever is higher and more comfortable. 20181021_092420.jpg . Nest boxes in this coop are on the right. Bar for nests is lower and narrow. GC

I have the same issue with one of mine. No advice, though...sorry. I have tried all the advice given on here and it works temporarily, but then she goes back to roosting on the edge of the nesting box again. I raised my roosting bars, blocked off the nesting boxes at night for a while, and even physically moved her every night for some time. She always goes back to it. My nesting box lip is thinner than the roosting bar also, so I have no idea why she prefers it. I just make sure all eggs are out before dusk, and scoop poop out in the morning.

Your roost bar needs to be higher than the nest boxes. They like to roost high. Also, it might help to use a 2x4 type board instead of a branch, so that they can cover their feet with their body in the cold weather. After raising your roost board, block off the nests at night until all birds are consistently roosting in the right place. Picture of a suitable roost board.
19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom