The never ending question... which bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigreyhorse, Sep 10, 2009.

1. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hovabator or LG? Which is better in your opinion?

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I get excellent results with my LG....I also have 2 hovabators, that I recently got at a steal...havent fired them up yet...just got them...but I love my LG, its touchy on the knob, temps spike, BUT you can learn to work it by not touching the knob and messing with the room area...

So for me so far LG all the way.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got 3 genesis hovabator 1588s and one hovabator 1590 and the only way I'd get rid of them would be for a sportsman cabinet incubator. I've had a lot of good hatches with them. I had a LG for a long time and hated it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I have a Genesis 2 Hova Bators with fans and an LG with fan..All have had very high hatch rates ones that haven't hatched were not because of the bator. I don't understand how so many have problems with an LG I don't have spikes humidity issues or anything...room temps have never effected any of my foam bators.BUT,as it says right on the top NO water may come in contact with the solid state heating element...my son did get water on it and fried it [​IMG] so that is something to think about if you have helpful kids or may have it in a place that it could come in contact with water.
    A Cabinet bator is best though-hundreds of fuzzy butts at one time [​IMG] My dh is working on mine now for Christmas [​IMG]

5. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    yes at first I had problems with my Lg, I didnt understand it was touchy on the knob and I was getting frustrated, I sat down one day...and decided to see if I could figure it out, I didnt want it to get the best of me,. Im a medic and I fight the battle of Im gonna find a solution.

Well after much research I found what works for me and a few others...I can adjust my temps on my LG without touching the knob for temp control, I do it by adjusting the temp in my room where I keep my bator, I also do DRY INCUBATION...no water until the last...LOCK DOWN...then I add water alittle at a time to raise humidity...

AWESOME LG, AND EXCELLENT HATCHES...90-100% HATCHES...wouldnt trade my LG now

6. bigreyhorse

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The LG being cheaper was my first pick, but I didn't want to be cheap and end up with deformed/dead chickies.

7. bigreyhorse

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    But it sounds like it's gotten a good review so far, if I end up going with LG it would go in my fish room, it's locked all the time so the kiddos don't play in the water [​IMG]
    of course it would be away from the water so it wouldn't get ruined.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I started with an LG still air and got good first-timer hatches. Then I bought a hovabator with fan. I now use the hova for incubating and the LG for hatching, and it seems to be working out well for me. I don't use a turner.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think everyone should have to say how many hatches they've done in their LGs...only a couple do not equal a good reliable incubator.

I used my LG dozens of times and got tired of fighting temp spikes and killing more eggs than I hatched....and this was my own eggs. Once I started buying expensive shipped eggs something had to change.

I've used my hovas (the 1590 in particular) pretty much non-stop, year round for several years without any temp spikes. I got my first 1588 when they first came out and added 2 more in the last year.

Just remember you often get what you pay for and it's been worth the extra money to me to have good reliable incubators.

10. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    My first and only LG was my bday gift from my mother in law, got turner and DH added a fan, from radio shack, pc fan...7.99 and I love my LG...I keep it in a draft free room, away from a window, and its in the shop next door...its a small apt, we call the shop. I control my temps/humidity with the A/C in the shop room...My temps in my LG were running at 99.5-100.2 at first on a hot humid Texas day...it ran up twice to 101.1

So, I lowered my a/c in the shop from 82 to 79 and my LG went back to 99.5-100.3, then we got rain and got more so humid but my LG then went to 99.2 so I raised my a/c in the shop to 82 and my temp in my LG went back to normal.

This is all during my test run before adding my eggs and then it happened once while my eggs were in so I just adjusted the room temp and my LG does fine. As for humidity when its time to raise it like now, Im on day 20 of my hatch and I have pip/rocking eggs....I raise humidity by:

I added a hoses through the tiny holes on top of my LG...I had added a sponge on the side also...First I filled up my wells with warm water, my humidity went up and now I needed this morning up alittle higher so I put water through the hose where the sponge is. I DO NOT open the bator only: day 7 to candle, then close it and dont open it again until day 18 to remove the turner and add the sponges and hoses. I use a syrgine to administer the water via the hose.

SO I ONLY OPEN MY BATOR 2 TIMES. DURING MY WHOLE 21 DAYS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by