The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

Yes, you cannot have more than 100 birds to be considered a backyard flock and trying to get a commercial NPIP cert. would be difficult due to other regulations.

I have 150 birds and told them that I could get down to perhaps 130 and they said they could not make an exceptions since there are others in my situations and they would need to then accept them as well. I am not at all knocking the program. Our local representative is great and I know she wants to be helpful but I think her hands are kinda tied. I am not sure about other states but the NPIP program in Calif. has to fight for their budget every year. In order to test 100 birds they would need to send out multiple testers and they simply do not have the staff.

Regarding VA NPIP, others states have regulations but VA and HI are the only 2 ( I know of) that require paper work.

Also, I typically hatch 500-800 chicks a year so any bird un-tested needs to be kept 100 feet from the tested flock and cannot be integrated with the flock until they are 4 months old and have been tested. Therefore, if I hatch birds in January, they would been to be kept apart from my other birds until let say July when they come through to retest the flock. They only test once a year so planning the hatches and growing out birds 100 feet from the main flock for several months has its challenges.

In Virginia, if your flock is NPIP/AI certified, then all progeny from that flock is considered part of the certified flock and do not require segregation. True, birds cannot be tested until they are four months of age but they are still NPIP/AI as part of that flock. Once they reach four months of age, they can then be tested at your convenience. Many States do different things that are above and beyond what is required.

You should hear wailing and gnashing of teeth from the folks in Maryland (I live just across the border from Maryland)! Maryland now requires every flock in the State to be registered and tested. This includes homeowners with only one or two birds. These new rules that may kill off the small time flock owner and business person.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think the npip program only requires pullorum. additional requirements are up to each state... Virginia does not do mg testing (will not the last time I asked) but will do ai if requested.

I'm planning ongetting my npip later this summer. hoping to become a tester, since that makes it easier to do the testing on my crazy schedule...

I'm a tester in the state of maine, we are not allowed to test our own flocks.
In Virginia, we can test our own flocks. Each State is different.
roll.png

For NV, NPIP requires me to have bi- secure (wild bird proof) runs for all my chickens and I cannot show my birds and still be NPIP. Also I think it would cost me about 1k to get everyone tested. Needless to say, I'm not NPIP. I wish everyone had the same standards.

Nice birds everyone! I hope someone puts up some more americauna (sp?) eggs! I missed the other ones, and my mom wants me to hatch her some.

Last edited:
BIN - Exactly 12 LF Black Ameraucana hatching eggs. Smith lines. Need to be claimed and paid for by 2:00 pm today MST. That's when I am leaving for town. Paypal only. Laid 3/2 to 3/5.

$20 + 12.35 (med. priority box) = $32.35

Just state SOLD and PM me for PP info.

Back
Top Bottom