So sorry Cynthia. That's terrible. We had to put a young kitty down here this past weekend, so we are both miserable. Scarlett was so young.
Aw, that's terrible. I'm so sorry. Yes, Scarlett was young and pretty and just a good hen, albeit a bit nutty at times (not as much as her sister, Shelby, though, ack)

Well, I had some chicken drama today that I did not need. I had put the big crazy group in and let Mace with his four Barred Rock hens out. Later, I looked outside and saw an EE or two. OMG, what are they doing out, I think?? Well, the door apparently did not latch completely when I herded them inside and the main group with its five bantam Cochin roosters got out with Mace and his hens. As I was coming through the gate, I saw a splash rooster laying on his back just outside the door, just laying there not moving. No other birds were around him and everyone was acting normally, as normal as this group ever gets. I saw that it was Mace. He was bloodied up and just laying flat on his back, but he blinked. I thought he was dead. I scooped him up, checked him over and put him and his hens back in their pen, rounded everyone else up and started checking over the group. Not one rooster had any blood on him....except Bodie, the head rooster of that group. I can see Bodie telling the others to stay back, that he'd handle this, and then, he proceeded to kick Mace's behind. I guess when Mace didn't get up again, Bodie just walked away. Mace was given quite a lesson today. He's in with the BRs in the first place because he was fighting with Gunnar. Guess he knows now that he's not all that, right? Goofballs.

Mace was playing possum? Probably a good idea when you are losing a fight. Hate it when gates aren't latched. Causes chaos every time. Glad you got them straightened out Cynthia.

I guess boys are already fighting. Here it was my two older muscovy Drakes rolling around like a pair of Tasmanian devils. Too warm this winter. Gives the males too much time to think of trouble making.

Mace was playing possum? Probably a good idea when you are losing a fight. Hate it when gates aren't latched. Causes chaos every time. Glad you got them straightened out Cynthia.

I guess boys are already fighting. Here it was my two older muscovy Drakes rolling around like a pair of Tasmanian devils. Too warm this winter. Gives the males too much time to think of trouble making.
Yes, Mace was playing possum! Actually, that incident showed me how wise of a leader Bodie really is. He did not allow any other roosters to become involved and when Mace surrendered, instead of still beating on him to the point of killing him, which many roosters would have done, he just walked away. I was very impressed. I've always thought he was a great head rooster and that really cemented my opinion of him. Naturally, Mace was out first when the big group got out so he would have taken on any of the roosters invading his space. I'm just glad it was Bodie, not the others. It might not have ended so well for Mace. Mace has a high opinion of his skills, as does Axel, both troublemakers. They are both Bodie's sons, obvious with the resemblance. And Dane, who is in the big group and not causing any trouble, is very mild-mannered just like his sire, Gunnar. Neither want to fight so they will never be top dog in there. They are so handsome, though. I'd prefer their genes over Bodie's with his not-so-perfect comb, but I guess it doesn't matter since I have no plans to add to that group. Wish the broodies would get the message, ugh.

I was looking over my Bantam flock this morning. The hatchery Bantam cochins do seem to have a higher turn over rate on average. I realized I still have all my Bantam Easter Egger, but have lost most of the cochins that came in that order. They are obviously much hardier than the cochins, plus I like their little green eggs. The original cochins I got from the 4H breeder lived much longer than my hatchery stock has.

Gotta love good roosters. I had to remove some that were in my rooster pen. They had started fighting and trying to mate the younger roosters. I don't like that, so 4 went in the freezer. I have 6 more to consider. The flock is much more peaceful for now. They are all mixes. Hope to keep a few, but gotta add more hens to my flock.

How are your chickens doing Cynthia? My naughty Bantam boys have been fighting already due to the warmer temperatures here.
Well, Mina is still alive, having multiple seizures every day, but she comes out of it and carries on. Bonnie, Ms. Separated Wing, has had no more fainting spells that I have seen, but her poop is very green and she is definitely not eating much. Axel sticks to her like glue, not understanding why she sits so much. Often, he'll just go outside without her, but not for long. He's a good little rooster, but when Bonnie is gone, I'll have to figure out other arrangements for him, maybe give him Wren, the crotchety, way too broody, splash bantam Cochin from the Dane/Axel group. She's a snarky little thing when she isn't broody so now, she's just really grumpy. They've turned a year old now-Dane, Axel, Phoebe (love that girl's coloring), Wren and Dove.
The boys seem to be doing okay with each other so far. No more fighting than usual. I did see Dane try to challenge his sire, Gunnar, a little bit, dancing around him, but Gunnar didn't take the bait. Gunnar hates fighting for the most part.
In the Brahma pen, Bash is showing less stamina than normal. He leaves the outside to go lay down under the raised nests and the girls end up sitting in the doorway of their pen looking out because they don't want to stay out without him. He will be 8 yrs old in June if he lives until summer so he's an elderly Brahma. Sweet old man, that one. I've had to battle rats in that barn and finally, none on game camera last night, concrete work we really didn't feel like doing, but I can't stomach rats in the barn with my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom