Pics
Cricket is now broody for the 4th time in 8 months. Finally, I gave her eggs so she could have closure in her little mind. I hope this deters her from going broody so much, the raising babies part. That's what works for most people, having children, LOL. :lol: Her chicks are due June 29.

I adore those little girls, however Bee is a spitfire. She will beg to be picked up, then bite your hand, or if you look her in the eye, she will literally scream, but gosh, she is adorable. She is so funny! Luna is a chatterbox. She reminds me the most of my late lavender bantam Cochin hen, Shadow, very round. Cricket is just precious from start to finish and the boys, every one of them, are so sweet.
Bodie is head rooster and he always breaks up fights between Gunnar and Forrest. In fact, he's usually really quick to jump between them, but if he doesn't, I'll say "Bodie, stop them!" and he does what I tell him. They seem pretty smart. Forrest is last in pecking order among the four roosters due to his hip issue, but he starts up with Gunnar constantly. Magnus refuses to fight or be intimidated by Forrest and seems content in the #3 spot. It's fascinating to watch the dynamic among those four. Of course, four is too many for the number of hens in there and three of my EE hens are wearing saddles at the moment.
I have decided that I really enjoy the bantam Cochins more than most any of the breeds I've had lately. The EEs are just plain nuts, other than Rayna (brown and blue coloring, very sweet, comes to me when I call her name, smarter than the rest). They are the first hatchery EEs I have ever owned and boy, they don't make me want more, but they do lay gorgeous eggs. Three lay blue and three lay green.

Bantam Cochin roosters are so funny to watch. The breed in general is just adorable, and easy going. I just love mine. It's one breed I have always kept since back in the 80's.

You have so many different personalities in your birds. I can picture each one by your descriptions. I'm so glad you are enjoying them. Can't wait to see the babies when they hatch. They are such great mothers too. The roosters often help look after the kids too.

Here was my bantam nest boxes about a month ago. The ones behind the wire grates were hatching bantam eggs. They rest I used to hatch some goose eggs. There was enough bodies to cover them. It got a bit crazy for a bit.

Last edited:
Cricket is a mama, finally. Two chicks hatched today on Day 20. They can only be splash x splash or buff x splash or vice versa, splash x buff. So, this super dark chick? What on earth? Dark blue? Def not splash!
DSC07649.JPG

Cricket is a mama, finally. Two chicks hatched today on Day 20. They can only be splash x splash or buff x splash or vice versa, splash x buff. So, this super dark chick? What on earth? Dark blue? Def not splash!
View attachment 3165386
Congratulations. :)

I'd say blue too. Should be interesting to see when it dries off.

Back
Top Bottom