The New Guy

MrChickenGuy

Chirping
May 24, 2015
Kentucky
I am on my fourth week of being a first time chicken owner. From the look of things I don't seem to be doing too bad of a job at it. My coop is almost fully built, and hopefully i've established one that will last at least a few years!
hu.gif

I'm in the U.S. in the heart of Kentucky! The breeds that I decided to start out with I came up with after a couple of hours of staring at chicken breeds online, and the idea that I just wanted to get to know which breeds I personally preferred. So far none of mine have given any major problems though
thumbsup.gif

I have: Black Australorp, Buff Chantecler, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock and a Silver-Laced Wyandotte.

It is very nice to meet you!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
Congrats on making it through your first month of chicken keeping!
clap.gif
Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Those are some great breeds. I have buff orpingtons and a speckled sussex too. Always wanted barred rocks, australorps and dominiques. I hope you enjoy them!

If you have any questions about your coop, please feel free to ask here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck and best wishes
big_smile.png

I'm in the U.S. in the heart of Kentucky! The breeds that I decided to start out with I came up with after a couple of hours of staring at chicken breeds online, and the idea that I just wanted to get to know which breeds I personally preferred. So far none of mine have given any major problems though :thumbsup .

I have: Black Australorp, Buff Chantecler, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock and a Silver-Laced Wyandotte.

It is very nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too.
I shall have to look those chicks up, just learning here. Mine are 2 1/2 week old Red sex-links. Are your's little or ready to be laying?

Nice to meet you Mr.Chicken Guy, you get an A+ in my book for the breeds you chose. Are the old enough to sex yet? Would love to see photos of them? And your coop.

So glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock
ya.gif

@Gembeag I have them in two Batches the first is about ready for the Coop, based on what i've read the Australorp should start laying earliest but I think they're still about A month or two away from laying. My Australorp sqauts a lot already when I go to pet/pick her up! The other batch is newborn. I think my next big challenge will be integrating the two groups.

@drumstick diva They're all beautiful little ladies! I've decided to take a Rooster-free route...we'll see how that works. They have a secure coop and pinned run from most predators (Racoons worry me the most).

Back
Top Bottom