The new lone hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kanga77510, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    We got a new hen from our Vet. the other day. She came with a clean bill of health, and was placed in the coop later in the afternoon; I think it was close to human supper time, so around 5 or 6. It gets dark around that same time, and the girls were heading into bed soon anyway.

The new chicken, an Amerucana, hasn't been welcomed with welcome wings like I'd hoped. My EE seeks the new one out to peck at her. The red hens squawked a lot (talked my ear off every time I went to check on them) the next day, but I don't think they peck her. They were not happy with the new addition. The Amerucana has taken to roosting and living on a shelf in the chicken shed. (We had existing shelves in there and made them chicken friendly, nest boxes and the like)

I have put food and water up there for the new bird. She's come down a few times and went outside but she mostly stays up high. How long should I expect her to be up there? Will she ever be a normal part of the flock?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    We have a tiny flock of mismatched chickens. Each one has had her turn being the lowest on the pecking order. We spoil the lowest. For a few days, the tiny black rosecomb got to overnite in Daddy's hat, inside our coat room and we all went over to her for lovin several times a day. Eventually she became the top of the pecking order. I can't remember how, but the chickens have taught us a lot about wait-n-see. For an entire summer, the silkie hen lived inside, we thought she'd spend her lifetime in here like a cat. But she, too, found her way back into the flock. She developed a wicked sense of humor and melodrama. You should see her chase squirrels and cackle just for fun; sometimes she runs UNDER another chicken to trip them, then cackles for fun.

I don't know if this ever happens in other flocks. But I did read in a backyard chicken book that "the coop needs a high up perch for any chicken who just wants to get away and read for awhile"....sounds like you have the perfect spot. Install an old used TV for her, see if there's any good late nite TV she'd like. If she's a friendly pet bird, spend some time up there with her and bring treats. For both of you.

Maybe they always find a way to get along. So far for us, its worked out. I think heeding the space per chicken advice is a good idea, too. Good luck to you and your lone hen!

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Isn't funny how they each have their quirks? [​IMG] Before we culled Lucy, she'd run cover for Ethel so Ethel could run around the pen and hide. This was bothersome when they needed wings clipped or rounded up for the night.

5. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Give it time and watch her. We had one situation where we introduced a new bird and she got so depressed that she just laid down in the corner of the coop. We took her out to put her in with another set of birds. That was the worst case that we had. She's fine now. I was amused by your title though. We still call her LC - Lone Chicken (it's more like Elsie now).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by