The New Zealand Thread

Pics
I'm in nz too!
I'm in te aroha and own, show and breed (when they are actually laying) lol silver spangled dutch hamburgs
Have added pics, we only got them 2 years ago and did our first show last year to get an idea of what level quality wise our small amount of them were.
We list our 3yr hen sadly around Xmas time but still have 2 hens and 2 roosters here at my home and 1 hen at a friends in the next town which I also bred and borrow when she starts laying to help increase my numbers and my friends for ensuring continuity of the breed.
Having them half an hour distance between properties ensures if one property happens to ever contract anything that wipes out everything on that property, we will still have the breed and be able to continue on with breeding them with what kept at my friends farm 😊
As I live in town with my 2 roosters and 2 hens there's always a greater risk of a bird virus or deathly bug reaching mine so I find it reassuring to have some kept rurally wherei can borrow them and swap around etc. Only negative is my friends husband and her mum who Brought the property next door won't have roosters at all so both boys have lived together with 2 hens for 2 years now and only just separated them side by side (son decided to finally win a battle with dad due to dad slipping losing his balance in a muddy patch as he went to launch back at his son.)
Oreo didn't fair to well from it and usually they don't have more than a 1 min scuffle occasionally but this one they both got too carried away and resulted in oreo covered in mud, mud all through his inner feathers to the skin, a deep big puncture wound on his back/lower back of neck, and not looking to good.
Rushed him in for a warm bath, shampoo, hospital pre operation washing soap thoroughly washing wounds and all skin areas at base of feathers and used to scrub bloody comb and then wrapped him in towels by the heater to recover before giving him his favourite hairdryer blow wave to ensure warmth and he was dry then made him comfy near the heater on low fan setting in a warehouse clear plastic storage 60litre container lid off lol where he happily enjoyed the constant room service for 2 days till he was back to his old self ready to go back out.
To give him his dignity back, his son was separated from the 2 girls and dad is with them with him in the other half of my now newly halfed coop/chook run lol 🤦‍♀️
Will be getting son 1 or 2 girls from the farm to keep him happy don't worry lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422_133118_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_133118_Facebook.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230422_133154_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_133154_Facebook.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230712_215444_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215444_Facebook.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230712_215233_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215233_Facebook.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230712_215556_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215556_Facebook.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230712_215620_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215620_Facebook.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230712_215516_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215516_Facebook.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230712_215150_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215150_Facebook.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230712_215458_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215458_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230712_215608_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_215608_Facebook.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm in nz too!
I'm in te aroha and own, show and breed (when they are actually laying) lol silver spangled dutch hamburgs
Have added pics, we only got them 2 years ago and did our first show last year to get an idea of what level quality wise our small amount of them were.
We list our 3yr hen sadly around Xmas time but still have 2 hens and 2 roosters here at my home and 1 hen at a friends in the next town which I also bred and borrow when she starts laying to help increase my numbers and my friends for ensuring continuity of the breed.
Having them half an hour distance between properties ensures if one property happens to ever contract anything that wipes out everything on that property, we will still have the breed and be able to continue on with breeding them with what kept at my friends farm 😊
As I live in town with my 2 roosters and 2 hens there's always a greater risk of a bird virus or deathly bug reaching mine so I find it reassuring to have some kept rurally wherei can borrow them and swap around etc. Only negative is my friends husband and her mum who Brought the property next door won't have roosters at all so both boys have lived together with 2 hens for 2 years now and only just separated them side by side (son decided to finally win a battle with dad due to dad slipping losing his balance in a muddy patch as he went to launch back at his son.)
Oreo didn't fair to well from it and usually they don't have more than a 1 min scuffle occasionally but this one they both got too carried away and resulted in oreo covered in mud, mud all through his inner feathers to the skin, a deep big puncture wound on his back/lower back of neck, and not looking to good.
Rushed him in for a warm bath, shampoo, hospital pre operation washing soap thoroughly washing wounds and all skin areas at base of feathers and used to scrub bloody comb and then wrapped him in towels by the heater to recover before giving him his favourite hairdryer blow wave to ensure warmth and he was dry then made him comfy near the heater on low fan setting in a warehouse clear plastic storage 60litre container lid off lol where he happily enjoyed the constant room service for 2 days till he was back to his old self ready to go back out.
To give him his dignity back, his son was separated from the 2 girls and dad is with them with him in the other half of my now newly halfed coop/chook run lol 🤦‍♀️
Will be getting son 1 or 2 girls from the farm to keep him happy don't worry lol
Welcome!
Your birds look glorious. It must be tough breeding them here, I know they're really rare.

We got our eggs from Willowbank. I am not sure of all the breeds that they have but we got eggs for dorkings, cochins, and hamburgs. Only 4 of our eggs hatched but we ended up with 2 golden pencilled hens, 1 silver spangled hen, and 1 silver spangled cockerel.
Hi do you have any Golden Pencil female chicks for sale?

Back
Top Bottom