The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

baby carrots
Are you aware that "baby carrots" are actually full size carrots cut down and shaped?? Lots of food waste, I don't buy them.

It's a little early for coffee but it's not to early to day good morning for an insomniac.
At 2 AM, yep. That is a time I try hard to never see!

@oldhenlikesdogs you need to drop in and say hello! Don't make me put up a "missing" poster.
Or worse, go to her house and roust her out!

Oh, I see she replied, no trip necessary.

I-75 going through Atlanta has been under construction since the 60's..... When one little stretch is done with a remodel and widening they start another.
That is what happens when people keep moving to an overpopulated city. Have to make more roads, widen existing ones. I grew up in So. Cal. Even more freeways there now than when I lived there. People buy property farther from the city where it is more affordable and more freeways are made, existing ones widened. The result? Freeways packed with cars, just as it was before.

Where my aunt and uncle built 60 years ago in a sparsely populated part of the city the road up the hill was 2 lane and 4 miles from the freeway. Now there is a new freeway half a mile from their house and the road up the hill is 4 lanes with a massive planted divider

Morning everyone. :frow

Sorry. :oops: Husband had last week off and this week. We were busy getting prepped for winter, and for my husband to go deer hunting. I'm on my own for a few days. Diabetic dog is keeping me busy washing bedding. I only took her out twice last night so maybe we are getting somewhere on her new insulin. Still tweaking the dose.

There you are, I'll put the missing poster away for now! Poor pup, hope the new insulin helps.

I'd gladly trade you Krogers for a Publix (I miss Publix :hit).
I have a Publix. I was born and raised near where Publix had their first store. In the 30's my mom and her sisters shelled black eyed peas that their brothers picked. My grandfather had an actual canner for metal cans and lids and packed those peas in them and processed them in a 55 gallon drum. Water bathed over a wood fire under the shade of a large oak tree. George Jenkins the founder of Publix bought them and sold them from his first store before the name of Publix was used. In my FFA days of showing beef cattle and chickens Publix bought all of my steers at both the county fair and state fair. We shop Publix when we can justify the 50 mile round trip. If there are a lot of buy one get one free sales and they have a sale on lean ground beef we go. In TN It was 70 miles round trip for Publix and only 3 miles round trip for Kroger. Kroger had some really good ice cream at the time and my waist line is proof. I'm on the ice cream wagon now. Instead of a gallon a week we are down to 4 gallons a year. I don't think there are any Kroger stores in AL. I don't know for sure. l remember the day that l was quite young and I was in Publix with my mom and the price of a 10 pound bag of potatoes hand increased in price from 39¢ to 49¢.... Mom let out a scream I'm sure George heard about.

Are you aware that "baby carrots" are actually full size carrots cut down and shaped?? Lots of food waste, I don't buy them.

At 2 AM, yep. That is a time I try hard to never see!

Or worse, go to her house and roust her out!

Oh, I see she replied, no trip necessary.

That is what happens when people keep moving to an overpopulated city. Have to make more roads, widen existing ones. I grew up in So. Cal. Even more freeways there now than when I lived there. People buy property farther from the city where it is more affordable and more freeways are made, existing ones widened. The result? Freeways packed with cars, just as it was before.

Where my aunt and uncle built 60 years ago in a sparsely populated part of the city the road up the hill was 2 lane and 4 miles from the freeway. Now there is a new freeway half a mile from their house and the road up the hill is 4 lanes with a massive planted divider
Yes I am aware. But they’re easier for me and also I’m not even sure Walmart has full size carrots? Idk. I didn’t look. I know other stores do but idk about Walmart. But I bought a big bag of presliced apples too. :oops: I don’t have an apple slicer thingy and I’m not supposed to have knives (though I do have a couple). Also they taste different to me and also I rarely buy them too. I was just trying to be healthier.

I have a Publix. I was born and raised near where Publix had their first store. In the 30's my mom and her sisters shelled black eyed peas that their brothers picked. My grandfather had an actual canner for metal cans and lids and packed those peas in them and processed them in a 55 gallon drum. Water bathed over a wood fire under the shade of a large oak tree. George Jenkins the founder of Publix bought them and sold them from his first store before the name of Publix was used. In my FFA days of showing beef cattle and chickens Publix bought all of my steers at both the county fair and state fair. We shop Publix when we can justify the 50 mile round trip. If there are a lot of buy one get one free sales and they have a sale on lean ground beef we go. In TN It was 70 miles round trip for Publix and only 3 miles round trip for Kroger. Kroger had some really good ice cream at the time and my waist line is proof. I'm on the ice cream wagon now. Instead of a gallon a week we are down to 4 gallons a year. I don't think there are any Kroger stores in AL. I don't know for sure. l remember the day that l was quite young and I was in Publix with my mom and the price of a 10 pound bag of potatoes hand increased in price from 39¢ to 49¢.... Mom let out a scream I'm sure George heard about.

Loved hearing the Publix stories! The closest one here is in Louisville and that's too far to justify the trip.

So what do you have for shopping where you are LTay? Do you have Walmart or Piggly Wiggly?

Loved hearing the Publix stories! The closest one here is in Louisville and that's too far to justify the trip.

So what do you have for shopping where you are LTay? Do you have Walmart or Piggly Wiggly?
Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, IGA, Grocery Outlet, and a few more. Those with in 12 miles. Some only 3. Few people left know the whole of Publix in the 50's to the time of George's death. Some radical changes after he died that he would never have approved of. At least Publix still has a good program of supporting school systems at all levels. I know of 2 college dorms they have built.

Last edited:
Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, IGA, Grocery Outlet, and a few more. Those with in 12 miles. Some only 3. Few people left know the whole of Publix in the 50's to the time of George's death. Some radical changes after he died that he wold never have approved of. At least Publix still had a good program of supporting school systems at all levels. I know of 2 college dorms they have built.

I once spent some time in Charleston and saw the outside of the Piggly Wiggly founders house...they have 2 big concrete pigs by their front door. 🐷

Screenshot_20231117-234542_Facebook.jpg

Back
Top Bottom