The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

No news of note from me .. hi ho, hi ho its off to work I go!
caf.gif

Often, IMO, No news is very often Good News. Hope your day is easy.

Good morning
frow.gif

@sunflour thanks for pointing out the article HomesteaderWife wrote. There's also mention of BYC in the latest copy of "Out Here" from TSC if anyone wants to take a look (you can get them free at the store).

Teila, your story about welding burn made my eyes water...no wonder welder's wear those big protective helmets. Hope you have a good day at work (it's Friday for you, right?).

Guess not a lot of news going on here either so will wish you all a good day and check back later!

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I am late checking in today because I had to walk down to pathology early this morning to have blood drawn; just a routine level check and by the time I got back, straight into work. Work has been busy all morning and this is the first I have had a chance to check in [11:35AM Friday].

I was expecting pages of posts and nothing! Lol

If sunflour is right and No News is Good News hopefully you are all busy doing other stuff and enjoying yourselves.

I too will check back later.

Oh, just a couple of progress shots from Easter Monday. Nothing too exciting because the weather was not kind and not much progress made over Easter.

The coop is shaping up nicely Teila.

My cold is still hanging on. I think I've been house bound so long (raising my babies) my immune system is out of practice! All 4 Javas are now doing well. One I did not think was going to make it but it's doing well. I'm not sure the poor thing will ever be able to perch because of its lack of toes but it will be well loved here. We have caught a grand total of zero mice! Little sneaks. And I've got finches laying eggs again so I don't know what to do.

One of our baby bourkes fledged today. It's very sweet and it's two siblings should be making their debut soon. I think they are 3 boys judging by their bright colours.

Our house guest, the ring neck dove, is still with us. We've advertised in a couple of places. My DH said to me "I suppose it could go in the aviary if no one claims it, once it's been through quarantine". I nearly fell over. It is pretty darn cute and, despite being bigger than my birds, finches and bourkes are great cage mates for a dove. It's so quiet though. I gave it a mirror but I haven't heard it talking to itself.

Right, time to feed my babies one last time then fall into bed! Hope everyone has a good Friday and weekend.

Been awake here since 3:45 am.....couldn't figure out why I couldn't just hit the bathroom and go back to sleep, but whatever - came out to the kitchen, started my water for tea, and glanced out my kitchen window at an odd glow just to the west of us. So I slipped on my robe, went outside and saw that the neighbor's place is on fire!!! WHAT??? Turned to run back in and call 911 but then saw the first emergency lights from the fire trucks coming in. I don't know how bad it is....whether it's the house, the garage, or the outbuilding where Sara Grace (Katie's best friend) keeps her lambs for 4-H, and things are busy enough over there without me prying. Praying it's not as serious as it looks and that everyone is okay.

Good morning!

Teila, I have coop envy, lol. With allowances for the weather, it's coming along nicely. By the time I got home from work last night I was too tired to get online (12 hour day)...the only place I went was to bed, lol.

J, maybe your state should classify you as a national aviary and you could be eligible for funding of some sort. Your flock just keeps getting bigger and bigger!
smile.png

Blooie, hope your neighbors and animals are okay and there isn't a lot of damage. Fires are scary. Keep us posted, ok?

Today we get our first big delivery from our food supplier to the course restaurant. Last year it was non-stop runs to town for groceries, hoping this supplier works out and we won't have to grocery shop so often. The truck is showing up around 8 this morning then it's lots & lots of boxes to unload. Something tells me it will be early to bed tonight.

Hope you all have a great day!

I don't know how long this thing was going before I got up at 3:45, but it's now 7:15 and it's still burning - over 3 hours at a minimum! Man, it has to run out of fuel soon. I wish the stupid wind would die down. It's harder to tell what's going on now that it's getting light, and I'm not about to go over there and stare, but my curiosity is killing me here. I need to take Ken to physical therapy this morning and we'll be leaving about 7:45 to make his 8:15 appointment so I'm thinking we can maybe tell more then.

Winds are at 21, with gusts to 30. Supposed to be some rain moving in - please, Lord....

Last edited:
Hard finding the balance between "caring and concerned member of the community" and "nosy neighbor," isn't it? Even factoring in the wind, that kind of persistence seems more like a barn full of hay, or maybe something else the firefighters decided to let burn itself out rather than try to extinguish.

Back
Top Bottom