The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

50 sounds good, hope it works out that you can finish soon.

I've been meaning to ask you...do you work with polymer clay? Trying to decide if that's something I want to try, so if you do, any info you can share would be appreciated.

I love polymer clay - but with winter skin and finger cracks, am leaving it for warm weather crafting. There's loads of folks on youtube with tutorials. Check out the fairy mouse :) That's the one that got me started.

I love polymer clay - but with winter skin and finger cracks, am leaving it for warm weather crafting. There's loads of folks on youtube with tutorials. Check out the fairy mouse :) That's the one that got me started.

Thanks! I've been looking at a lot of tutorials but didn't think about the weather/hand issues. Summer means no time for me to play :hmm but I might go ahead and get a little, just to try out.

Anything you can think of that's a "have to have" just to start? I've seen several tools, a roller thingie, etc.

Thanks! I've been looking at a lot of tutorials but didn't think about the weather/hand issues. Summer means no time for me to play :hmm but I might go ahead and get a little, just to try out.

Anything you can think of that's a "have to have" just to start? I've seen several tools, a roller thingie, etc.

I got a clay roller - like a pasta roller - but you don't want to share any tools for clay with food items. The clay has to be conditioned - and the roller helps blend and soften it and make sheets if you want. But more is done from the warmth of your hands - you can get by with a roller like a tiny plastic or glass pastry roller - you have stronger hands than I do ( from all that bread making).

You will need something to cut it and some tools for details - you can get by with things you already have - an old knife, toothpicks, needles, etc. Or buy a starter kit.

If you have never done any clay stuff - why not just start with play dough? That's what I did first when learning for the sugar paste things? It will let you know whether you really want to do this or not?

I got a clay roller - like a pasta roller - but you don't want to share any tools for clay with food items. The clay has to be conditioned - and the roller helps blend and soften it and make sheets if you want. But more is done from the warmth of your hands - you can get by with a roller like a tiny plastic or glass pastry roller - you have stronger hands than I do ( from all that bread making).

You will need something to cut it and some tools for details - you can get by with things you already have - an old knife, toothpicks, needles, etc. Or buy a starter kit.

If you have never done any clay stuff - why not just start with play dough? That's what I did first when learning for the sugar paste things? It will let you know whether you really want to do this or not?

Good tips, thank you!

@Teila I don't think people should be eating children in a public space. There should be laws against that!

Woke up early because it's chilly in the house. Temps dropped down to 3* and an outside door was ajar from when DH took the trash out last night.
Oops.

You just sucked the fun right out of that:gig
Saved you a TON of money though didn't I??

Good morning! @Teila I'm glad you are getting some rain. We were supposed to get snow night before last, but it didn't happen. Fine with me! This is the first "normal" winter I can remember up in this area for the past 4 winters. We do have snow on the ground, @N F C but not enough to let us qualify as a winter wonderland.

Sorry I was whiney yesterday. I'm over it now. We'll just get things knocked out one at a time. But if I hear one more doctor say, "And if nothing shows up, at least we'll have a good baseline." :he

Back
Top Bottom