The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Yep, NFC , i know i should rest but i hate getting nothing done. First i gotta feed the birds and bunnies. Any energy left and i want to get 2 more bunny water warmers boxed in so i can use them . And then possibly after a rest i might do a little bit on the bunny cage. But yeah, i do plan to rest when i get tired.
Hope today is a good day for you Cap...that flu bug can really knock the stuffings out of a person. Take it easy!

Yep, NFC , i know i should rest but i hate getting nothing done. First i gotta feed the birds and bunnies. Any energy left and i want to get 2 more bunny water warmers boxed in so i can use them . And then possibly after a rest i might do a little bit on the bunny cage. But yeah, i do plan to rest when i get tired.
But if you RESTED then you could get BETTER and then you could get LOTS done ;)

So, as I do most days, I sent hubby a shopping list of stuff to pick up from town on his way home. On today's shopping list was watermelon [for the girls] and 'a ticket to somewhere cooler' :p

This just arrived via e.mail ...............

View attachment 1251257

:smack :lau
Did he also give you a time machine? If not, your ticket will get you nowhere ;)

@bruceha2000 are you a woodworker too?
Yep, I made all the door and window trim in my last house from rough lumber. The difference between being able to afford custom cherry and "off the rack" pine installed by a carpenter is "DIY". Plus you get to buy some nice tools to do the work :D I don't seem to have any pictures on my computer but it is safe to say that cats appreciate cat width windowsills.

It is too cold out in the workshop here to do anything in the winter. No way to heat the end of an old barn that is open to the roof peak and drafty through the walls and floor.

I made this cabinet that is above the stove hood from wood that came out of the current house, pre US Civil war. All sliding dovetails, no nails or screws. This shows the bottom being slid down over the ends and center divider/vertical support.
P1010165.jpg

The wall oven cabinet was made with new left over wood from a 90% rebuild of half the house - 1 1/2" (finished width) T&G longleaf pine subfloor for the panel "edges", 3/4" half lap pine ceiling boards for the top, shelves and sides. Mortise and tenon construction held together with wood dowels. Just seems appropriate for a post and beam house with all the posts and beams exposed :D In the last picture the post on the left is new, the one on the right original to pre 1860's. The problem with uncovering some rot in an old house is all the rest of the rot you find when doing so.
P1010043.jpg Wall oven.jpg

Last edited:

Did he also give you a time machine? If not, your ticket will get you nowhere ;)

Yep, I made all the door and window trim in my last house from rough lumber. The difference between being able to afford custom cherry and "off the rack" pine installed by a carpenter is "DIY". Plus you get to buy some nice tools to do the work :D I don't seem to have any pictures on my computer but it is safe to say that cats appreciate cat width windowsills.

It is too cold out in the workshop here to do anything in the winter. No way to heat the end of an old barn that is open to the roof peak and drafty through the walls and floor.

I made this cabinet that is above the stove hood from wood that came out of the current house, pre US Civil war. All sliding dovetails, no nails or screws. This shows the bottom being slid down over the ends and center divider/vertical support.
View attachment 1251578

The wall oven cabinet was made with new left over wood from a 90% rebuild of half the house - 1 1/2" (finished width) T&G longleaf pine subfloor for the panel "edges", 3/4" half lap pine ceiling boards for the top, shelves and sides. Mortise and tenon construction held together with wood dowels. Just seems appropriate for a post and beam house with all the posts and beams exposed :D In the last picture the post on the left is new, the one on the right original to pre 1860's. The problem with uncovering some rot in an old house is all the rest of the rot you find when doing so.
View attachment 1251584 View attachment 1251579
Yep, i am back inside already. Didn't even pick up my customary bucket of sticks for kindling. There is plenty in the garden shed for now.
It is just difficult to rest when you are used to go go go.

I know, I've been doing it since I graduated high school. It got me through college and is my main job now. :idunno Its pays the bills and helps people at the same time. A win, win in my book. It's only heartache when I loose a beloved client and I lost two last year. Needless to say, it hit me pretty hard.

Aw sorry :( :hugs

Thanks! :hugs I made a promise to my mother and I fulfilled it. :p

That's good! I'm hopefully graduating soon.

I bet they loved you. You have such a happy personality! I understand getting close to the elderly. One of my favorites that I clean for just moved into the care center and not all of the workers are caring. That’s what my sister does in North Carolina and I have another sister that works in assisted living and my mother was a CNA and she did home health care for years. I am so glad there are people like you who care.

Always nice to have people who care.

So, as I do most days, I sent hubby a shopping list of stuff to pick up from town on his way home. On today's shopping list was watermelon [for the girls] and 'a ticket to somewhere cooler' :p

This just arrived via e.mail ...............

View attachment 1251257

:smack :lau

:lau

Morning all... :frow

Debby, I think I'll redo this kitchen once I get a lot of other things under control. I'd like to make this one from trees on my land, which adds to the fun. Cut the timber, mill it, dry it, and etc. Of course that means I need my band saw mill. And a covered place to dry it.

Wow lot's of work!

View attachment 1251578

View attachment 1251584 View attachment 1251579

How awesome!!

My grandpa (mom's dad) loves projects and working in his shop. He's built a bird house for each of the kids and lots of other stuff. He made their deck or at least put it up/helped. And it's a pretty big nice deck etc. But of course now his hands and eyes are so bad he can't. :/

My dad on the other hand.. not really very motivated lol

He does like working on boats though and that's always sort of been his "thing." Not so into building stuff or projects around home hah

It was new in 1931 ;) , the year is cast right into each leg. One of the few things of any value (to me) that came with the house. The control knobs aren't original, cheesy plastic sh1t but I can't find any to match the original ceramic ones. One thing I find interesting is that the burner technology is exactly the same as what we saw on a $5,000 BBQ while waiting for the sales guy when shopping for the wall oven, dishwasher and refrigerator. The sink is from 1942.

It was new in 1931 ;) , the year is cast right into each leg. One of the few things of any value (to me) that came with the house. The control knobs aren't original, cheesy plastic sh1t but I can't find any to match the original ceramic ones. One thing I find interesting is that the burner technology is exactly the same as what we saw on a $5,000 BBQ while waiting for the sales guy when shopping for the wall oven, dishwasher and refrigerator. The sink is from 1942.
LOVE that stove and I’d take the sink also...love old stuff! I love going to antique shops to see all the old treasures(not knick knacks though)The house I showed yesterday is full of antiques, he’s been talking of an auction and I can’t wait...he’s 90 and still lives in his house.

Good Morning Friends :hugs

95F predicted for today :sick

The timber shutters for the catio arrived today and as it happens, it is hubby’s RDO tomorrow :clap

Definitely getting before and after photos on this project .. shade cloth to timber shutters is going to be an improvement! Plus, the cats are going to have a much better view from their catio and it will be cooler.

Also, as my office opens out on to the catio, hopefully having the ability to adjust the light coming in is going to cool my office down too :fl

Back
Top Bottom