The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good Morning....honestly finding it near impossible to keep up with you all.
So sorry that I am not as active anywhere on site as I would like. But for here, my daily routines are so boring next to y'all's.

I made one out of scrap wood and left over 1/2" hardware cloth. It is about 18" x 42" x 18". I have 2 doors on it but have yet to put in a center divider so I can have 2 in there at once :he without them messing with each other and knocking over the food. It is up on a stand, sink height from the floor so plenty of air space under her. It is definitely easier to break them in the spring and fall than in the heat of summer. I once tried to break a broody by putting ice packs under her on the nest. She thawed 2 in succession and her breast was HOT, they did no good at all.

I know some think it cruel to break them but I am of the opposite opinion. I think it is cruel NOT to break them. If they aren't going to hatch anything, sitting on a nest not eating or drinking (as a broody that IS hatching eggs WILL do) for weeks is NOT good for their health. If they can't stay hot underneath their hormones go back to normal, they go back to normal.

Mine will usually break in a day or two if I pull them off the nest < 1 day of going broody. Before I got "mean" I tried waiting them out for a week or two. They took at least 5 days to break. In pretty much all cases, once mine have been broken, they still won't lay for 5-7 days.

I'm reluctant to use hardware cloth for flooring in a cage, guess I just worry too much but picture bumble foot potential. Bitty is coming out several times a day for exercise, food, water and of course some treats.....she's not as wicked as before so hopefully she's going out of it.

Thanks for telling me your methods and experience.

My Dad is like that! Can't resist a 'bargain' despite the product being unnecessary or not useful to anyone. :confused:

My dad used to always have fun advising me and mom on our brags of saving loads of $$ attending great sales....he would predictably advise us that we would have saved more by just staying home :lau.

To be fair though I only skimmed the posts and this thread moves fast, it might be further back than I think lol

Me too :oops:

Biopsy done. 2 Mammo views after that. (Who thinks that's a good idea after poking a person multiple times and inserting a marker!? ) :barnie Results 48 hours after test, so Thursday doctor supposed to call. :thumbsup

So, today's the day, hope everything turns out ok :hugs. I've been "away" but you are in my thoughts daily.

Awww, love the babies.

People use phones while walking all the time here!

I think they superglue those phones on their ears :duc. We have a very high rate of MVA here, and almost all involve a cell phone.

I hate when people let dogs sit in their laps while driving! So dangerous and usually the dog is aggressive
Also highly illegal.

I think they were saying that rather than stop and wait for him to notice me I should have just honked or rolled my window down.
And then you would have been ripped on for scaring the guy and his dog. You were being patient, he was being oblivious. Just run him over next time and don't mention it to anyone ;) Just kidding of course.

Hi Debby, tax time is so much fun :sick . Glad ours is almost ready :)

I like the guy that does mine, he's the husband of a friend I've made in town. But I wonder...he's a CPA and I would assume they are pretty busy this time of year. Apparently he isn't, when I called to make an appointment the receptionist told me to pick any day and time. Is it a bad sign if he isn't busy now that we're down to about 3 weeks before taxes are due? :confused:

Maybe he's just so speedy, he never falls behind :)

Hey, @sunflour....you just come and go as you can. If anyone "gets that", it's me!!

We ran into a serious issue with the IRS several years ago so our days of doing our own taxes are long gone!! It took a CPA and Senator Mike Enzi to get it straightened out. Um, the IRS doesn't like it when your social security info doesn't match.

I've often talked about our stepdad adopting Linda and me when we were married adults with kids of our own. Linda and I grew up just using his last name - he was "dad" and we were his kids. So when I got my first SS card to get my first job, I applied as Diane Hislastname. Back then, all you did was walk up to the SS office desk, tell them you wanted a card, and they typed it up and gave it to you. No ID, none of that. So then Ken and I got married and I found out that my birth certificate had my real dads's last name. Oops.

Didn't think much about it...just got a new SS card with the married name change on it, and went on about life. Then when I was in my mid 30's, Dad adopted us. When you are adopted - at any age - you are issued a new birth certificate with the adoptive parent's name on it. Every few years I'd get a notice that my SS records were off, I'd send in a copy of both my original and my re-issued birth certificates, marriage certificate, and my adoption papers, and then hear nothing for another few years. Same thing when we'd get a notice from the IRS after tax time. Then BLAM - they slammed us!!

This was in 2004. They took Ken's retirement check and instead of our check we got a notice of garnishment. They decided that Ken was never entitled to claim me as a dependent because I didn't exist, and going back to 1968, they wanted every dime of those deductions repaid, plus interest and penalties, and they were going to do it one retirement check at a time until it was paid off. But they were ever generous - they let us have $310.17 of it for ourselves each month and didn't take it all. What a flippin' nightmare! Fortunately Ken is a hoarder - yes, I said that! He has every tax return he's ever filled out since his very first one in 1966. Most people understand that we should keep the last 10 years of our tax returns. In this case, being able to go back more than that saved our hineys! Well, that and the fact that they HAD all the records I'd sent them time after time, and the fact that we were never notified of their intent. None of the letters we ever got from them said any such thing....just "This is to inform you that your IRS and SS records do not match. Please send any documentation you have regarding this discrepancy to:" and that was it. Having Senator Enzi as a Lodge brother didn't hurt, either! :D But it still took 5 months to get it all fixed, and the IRS was examining every past return with a micron microscope! We got the money back...and the following year we got a 1099 (or something like that) from them listing that entire refund from them as "taxable income" we had to claim for that year. And there was no "fixing" that. Nope, we don't do our own taxes! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom