The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Gee, wish I had suggested you MAIL THE THING BACK!!!!

OK, yeah that IS old. Knob and tube hasn't been used for almost 90 years. Your house isn't as old as our current one but it never had k&t, no electricity until the 1950's based on the cloth covered coated wires. Our prior house had some k&t in the attic and walls (but no wire in use, it was replaced with surface mount some time before I bought it in '88), it was built in the early 1920's I think.

I expect you also have a fuse panel so you'll be replacing that with a circuit breaker panel.

Depends on what kind of filter you have! Mine has pads that get rinsed out. I have this filter:
https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-20-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUM
it uses these pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquaclear-50-Gallon-Foam-Inserts-3-Pack/dp/B0002AQK4S
I also have one of these for extra bacteria substrate. Since I have this in the filter, I only use 2 of the pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Clear-A1372-Aquaclear-50-Gallon/dp/B000A7BCG4
and a bag for charcoal that I can refill. I'm not big into buy and throw away. But I know some filters have media that is not reusable. You might have one of those.

If the gravel is still full of gunk, yeah I would vacuum it again in a few days. Just enough to get the bulk out, don't want to have to add too much more new water so soon if you can help it.

Whoo hoo, I get to "like" it twice since you posted it in 2 threads!

:eek:
Where are you going to live in a year when she's overgrown the house?
Did you know they have cloth covered extension cords now in designer colors?

20180406_004756.jpg My new babies....13 hatched already and hatch day is tomorrow! Only 4 eggs left. Crazy hatch, when i opened the bator after 24 hours they all tried to jump out. Some succeeded and fell on the floor and ran around!

Last edited:
My new babies....13 hatched already and hatch day is tomorrow! Only 4 eggs left. Crazy hatch, when i opened the bator after 24 hours they all tried to jump out. Some succeeded and fell on the floor and ran around!
Yep, you have to be careful opening the bator with quail...they can jump out and run fast in a quick chilly minute!

Gee, wish I had suggested you MAIL THE THING BACK!!!!

OK, yeah that IS old. Knob and tube hasn't been used for almost 90 years. Your house isn't as old as our current one but it never had k&t, no electricity until the 1950's based on the cloth covered coated wires. Our prior house had some k&t in the attic and walls (but no wire in use, it was replaced with surface mount some time before I bought it in '88), it was built in the early 1920's I think.

I expect you also have a fuse panel so you'll be replacing that with a circuit breaker panel.

Depends on what kind of filter you have! Mine has pads that get rinsed out. I have this filter:
https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-20-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUM
it uses these pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquaclear-50-Gallon-Foam-Inserts-3-Pack/dp/B0002AQK4S
I also have one of these for extra bacteria substrate. Since I have this in the filter, I only use 2 of the pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Clear-A1372-Aquaclear-50-Gallon/dp/B000A7BCG4
and a bag for charcoal that I can refill. I'm not big into buy and throw away. But I know some filters have media that is not reusable. You might have one of those.

If the gravel is still full of gunk, yeah I would vacuum it again in a few days. Just enough to get the bulk out, don't want to have to add too much more new water so soon if you can help it.

Whoo hoo, I get to "like" it twice since you posted it in 2 threads!

:eek:
Where are you going to live in a year when she's overgrown the house?

Hey, Bruce in response to: and a bag for charcoal that I can refill. I'm not big into buy and throw away. But I know some filters have media that is not reusable. You might have one of those.
You can wash the old charcoal throughly, then pop it in an oven at 500° for an hour and it will be reactivated. I usually do this with my spent activated charcoal at least once before throwing it out. A C isn't that expensive but sometimes I just try and stretch it's usefulness. Have to be careful though, phosphates can get built up in the charcoal and leach back out into the system.

Kdogs we have a Boston Market out here and used to love the stuff. They keep tinkering around with it and spoiling it(in our humble opinion). The ruined the turkey and that used to be our favorite place to get it for Thanksgiving and Xmas.

They tried ribs and they were :sick , chicken marsala also :sick, and other things. So far thankfully they haven't ruined their delicious chicken but, I am afraid they will try.

Their TV dinners don't taste at all like the restaurant food.

Good morning :frow

@rjohns39 that recipe link you posted looks a lot like the Salisbury steak my mom used to make. Thanks for the recipe!

@CapricornFarm congrats on your keet hatch!

We never did get the snow or rain showers that were predicted for last night. Now they're saying it will come this morning. I guess if they keep moving it out there, it will hit sooner or later.

Have to go to HR today to fill out my summer employment paperwork. Going back to work is getting closer, ready or not!

Have to go to HR today to fill out my summer employment paperwork. Going back to work is getting closer, ready or not!
You can do this. Oooom, oooom, oooom

Mine is the Tetra Whisper I think 20-40 but I'm not sure.
Yep, looks like that one doesn't have washable media.

But... nothing is ever as good as it looks on the box lol and with wvery bit i taste/feel the salt hitting my forehead lol is that weird?
That would be because the people who do the cover art don't make or eat the food, they draw what they think it SHOULD look like to catch people's eye. And yeah that salt hit is not at all surprising. Most packaged foods of that nature have WAY more salt than you would put in if you were cooking it or they would put in at the restaurant the original came from.

If there is food left after 10 minutes you are feeding too much.
Another guideline - a fish's stomach is about the same size as its eye, EASY to over feed!

Did you know they have cloth covered extension cords now in designer colors?
Now there is something I need out in the workshop!!

You can wash the old charcoal throughly, then pop it in an oven at 500° for an hour and it will be reactivated. I usually do this with my spent activated charcoal at least once before throwing it out. A C isn't that expensive but sometimes I just try and stretch it's usefulness. Have to be careful though, phosphates can get built up in the charcoal and leach back out into the system.
Yep, good time to season your cast iron so the energy can be spread over multiple needs. I admit to having "stretched" my charcoal way past its limits. Probably doesn't do anything. Actually, not entirely sure what the charcoal is supposed to do!

Back
Top Bottom