The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Me too I miss everyone when they are gone. Our Senior bus driver was taking a one month vacation to Florida. Next week will be 6 weeks since he(and family) left. I even checked the obits and Google for him. Nothing!

Dispatcher is pretending he will be back next week. I scoff on her. Scoff scoff!!

If you can find round steak, this is a good alternative to Salisbury steak
Swiss Steak Dinner
  • 2 pounds round steak, 1-inch thick
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • dash pepper
  • flour
  • 3 large onions, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup long-grain rice
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed tomato soup
  • 1 soup can water
  • 2 cups cooked drained green beans

Season meat and sprinkle with flour; pound lightly with meat mallet. Heat oil and butter in skillet; add onions and brown slowly over medium-low heat. Remove onions; brown meat. Place beef in baking dish; add onions, uncooked rice, and bay leaf. Combine soup and water; pour over casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours. Arrange green beans around meat and bake 15 minutes longer.
Serves 6 to 8.

Thanks for the recipe! That sounds delicious.

Personally, I would not say they are expensive to build per say; if you can make your own, it would probably be quite cheap for the basic pond but then you need to have the pump and filter etc. If you want it to be more of a water feature with falling water etc, like ours, then you have to consider the additional construction costs there. Our pump/filter is solar powered so it basically runs when the sun is out which is great for here, not so much in some other places.

People have stuck bath tubs or other such like in the ground and turned them in to very nice ponds .... Google has some awesome bath tub pond images.

Thanks, that makes sense! I'm thinking bigger than yours. Maybe 50-100 gallons per fish. Or at least 30. Idk. I have 4 goldfish and they get huge. I want it to be a foot or two deep too, at least in some spots, so it doesn't freeze. But I don't really like those kind that are only deep in one tiny section, I feel like they don't have room to swim, so idk.

So it'd probably be big and expensive. Idk.

If there is food left after 10 minutes you are feeding too much.

I probably am but they also like to wait for it to sink and eat it off the bottom so it's hard to tell.

Did you know they have cloth covered extension cords now in designer colors?

I think I have one of those lol it's light blue/teal and flat.

Hey, Bruce in response to: and a bag for charcoal that I can refill. I'm not big into buy and throw away. But I know some filters have media that is not reusable. You might have one of those.
You can wash the old charcoal throughly, then pop it in an oven at 500° for an hour and it will be reactivated. I usually do this with my spent activated charcoal at least once before throwing it out. A C isn't that expensive but sometimes I just try and stretch it's usefulness. Have to be careful though, phosphates can get built up in the charcoal and leach back out into the system.

Seems like a good idea

Kdogs we have a Boston Market out here and used to love the stuff. They keep tinkering around with it and spoiling it(in our humble opinion). The ruined the turkey and that used to be our favorite place to get it for Thanksgiving and Xmas.

They tried ribs and they were :sick , chicken marsala also :sick, and other things. So far thankfully they haven't ruined their delicious chicken but, I am afraid they will try.

Their TV dinners don't taste at all like the restaurant food.

That stinks :( i thought they went out of business but maybe got sold?

Morning all :frow
KD, this looks to be a good recipe... https://www.recipetineats.com/salisbury-steak-with-mushroom-gravy/ I'd likely use all beef stock and a touch of BVD as well as a tad bit more Worcestershire...

ETA: Of course I prefer to make my own stock...

Sounds delicious.

Good morning :frow

@rjohns39 that recipe link you posted looks a lot like the Salisbury steak my mom used to make. Thanks for the recipe!

@CapricornFarm congrats on your keet hatch!

We never did get the snow or rain showers that were predicted for last night. Now they're saying it will come this morning. I guess if they keep moving it out there, it will hit sooner or later.

Have to go to HR today to fill out my summer employment paperwork. Going back to work is getting closer, ready or not!

Sorry everyone. I think I may have jinxed spring! Yesterday or the other day I unplugged the chickens heated water bowl, replaced it with a silver metal one for summer and said we don't need this anymore, it's spring!!!

Now it's snowing, though right above freezing so not really sticking, sticking somewhat now. Winter mix more like.

Anyway, feel free to blame me!!

You can do this. Oooom, oooom, oooom

Yep, looks like that one doesn't have washable media.

That would be because the people who do the cover art don't make or eat the food, they draw what they think it SHOULD look like to catch people's eye. And yeah that salt hit is not at all surprising. Most packaged foods of that nature have WAY more salt than you would put in if you were cooking it or they would put in at the restaurant the original came from.

Another guideline - a fish's stomach is about the same size as its eye, EASY to over feed!

Now there is something I need out in the workshop!!

Yep, good time to season your cast iron so the energy can be spread over multiple needs. I admit to having "stretched" my charcoal way past its limits. Probably doesn't do anything. Actually, not entirely sure what the charcoal is supposed to do!

Yeah, I don't think it does but I don't mind replacing it. They're very cheap at WalMart.

Glad I'm not crazy and the salt hit thing is a real thing lol

And hmm, good point. There's 4 so i always want to put enough for all 4.

:goodpost:
I'm going to have to try this recipe :drool

Congratulations :woot :D

It does sound good.

It is very good! I love a good Swiss steak

Probably much better than microwave lol

Charcoal absorbs odors and crud to sweeten the water.

Hmm interesting

I want it to be a foot or two deep too, at least in some spots, so it doesn't freeze.
Better make it at LEAST 3' if not 4' if you don't want it to freeze. I would guess frost depth down your way isn't all that different from up here. Also, remember that the unfrozen part will ONLY be at the level below frost level, the upper part will freeze solid. I don't know that goldfish can deal with that. The frogs and fish in our pond do but there are never any bigger fish in the pond in the spring and I think the things that "winter over" do so by burying in the mud bottom. Pond isn't nearly deep enough to not freeze most, if not all of the way, down even in the 'deep' part. Yeah, I would loved to get it dredged.

NOT your fault. The spring gods are weak this year and the winter gods have them pinned to the mat!

Thanks for the recipe! That sounds delicious.

Thanks, that makes sense! I'm thinking bigger than yours. Maybe 50-100 gallons per fish. Or at least 30. Idk. I have 4 goldfish and they get huge. I want it to be a foot or two deep too, at least in some spots, so it doesn't freeze. But I don't really like those kind that are only deep in one tiny section, I feel like they don't have room to swim, so idk.

So it'd probably be big and expensive. Idk.

I probably am but they also like to wait for it to sink and eat it off the bottom so it's hard to tell.

I think I have one of those lol it's light blue/teal and flat.

Seems like a good idea

That stinks :( i thought they went out of business but maybe got sold?

Sounds delicious.

Sorry everyone. I think I may have jinxed spring! Yesterday or the other day I unplugged the chickens heated water bowl, replaced it with a silver metal one for summer and said we don't need this anymore, it's spring!!!

Now it's snowing, though right above freezing so not really sticking, sticking somewhat now. Winter mix more like.

Yeah, I don't think it does but I don't mind replacing it. They're very cheap at WalMart.

Glad I'm not crazy and the salt hit thing is a real thing lol

And hmm, good point. There's 4 so i always want to put enough for all 4.

It does sound good.

Probably much better than microwave lol

Hmm interesting
My Mom used to make it when I was growing up. It is a great way to make a tough lower cost meat tender and tasty.

Not in Wyoming

Well, I'm not happy with my forecast... They included the four letter white stuff for tomorrow and Sunday night. Tomorrow the high will be when I get up at 5 and drop like a rock after... I was supposed to plant my lettuce and spinach this weekend.:he:rant

I'm down south, no XXXX after March. At least I can get the planter fixed, move the breeders into the greenhouse and work on taxes.... Gee that sounds fun:rant

Better make it at LEAST 3' if not 4' if you don't want it to freeze. I would guess frost depth down your way isn't all that different from up here. Also, remember that the unfrozen part will ONLY be at the level below frost level, the upper part will freeze solid. I don't know that goldfish can deal with that. The frogs and fish in our pond do but there are never any bigger fish in the pond in the spring and I think the things that "winter over" do so by burying in the mud bottom. Pond isn't nearly deep enough to not freeze most, if not all of the way, down even in the 'deep' part. Yeah, I would loved to get it dredged.

NOT your fault. The spring gods are weak this year and the winter gods have them pinned to the mat!

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. So bring inside in winter then maybe? I still prefer slightly deeper ponds though but idk. Not too deep I guess so I can see the fish.

My Mom used to make it when I was growing up. It is a great way to make a tough lower cost meat tender and tasty.

I hadnt thought of that but good point

Well, I'm not happy with my forecast... They included the four letter white stuff for tomorrow and Sunday night. Tomorrow the high will be when I get up at 5 and drop like a rock after... I was supposed to plant my lettuce and spinach this weekend.:he:rant

I'm down south, no XXXX after March. At least I can get the planter fixed, move the breeders into the greenhouse and work on taxes.... Gee that sounds fun:rant
Here it is the opposite problem! Rain at the top of the sierras will melt snow and cause river flooding

Someone in TN sure made the snow gods mad this year!! And NJ and MA and ........

We've made at least 1" so far, a bit more than forecast. But unlike you, I had no plans to plant anything. That would be folly up here unless one had a greenhouse and a way to keep it warm.

Back
Top Bottom