The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

morning, afternoon sean, glad to see you up and moving:frow
what is a poormans fruit cake, is it easy to make, could i make one?
Yep, Sharron easy to make but does take some time. This is my grandmother's recipe.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
2 cups water
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground cloves
Can substitute with allspice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Cooking
Mix the sugar, water and the cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan or pot. Cook to the consistency of a rich cream.
Let cooked mixture cool, in a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well, add the walnuts, raisins, and mix again. It can be mixed by hand.
After mixing, pour in the cooked mixture and add the vanilla, stir well to combine everything making a smooth batter.
Pour into a greased bundt pan. Cook at 275°F for 1 1/2 hours to an hour and 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool and drizzle with bourbon, bourbon is optional.
To make a regular fruit cake add candied fruit

Last edited:
Yep, Sharron easy to make but does take some time. This is my grandmother's recipe.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
2 cups water
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Cooking
Mix the sugar, water and the cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan or pot. Cook to the consistency of a rich cream.
Let cooked mixture cool, in a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well, add the walnuts, raisins, and mix again. It can be mixed by hand.
After mixing, pour in the cooked mixture and add the vanilla, stir well to combine everything making a smooth batter.
Pour into a greased bundt pan. Cook at 275°F for 1 1/2 hours to an hour and 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
thanks sean, as soon as i get the ingredients gonna try this, like i said, husband loves fruitcake and if i can make it for him thats a bonus:D now to copy this so i don't lose it:fl

INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
2 cups water
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Cooking

That looks good Sean, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom