The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I can usually tell when they want it turned down if they are all sprawled out near the front or outside it and then I turn it down and they go under. That’s how I’ve been slowly adjusting it since they’ve been out there and as they’ve gotten bigger. And it seems to work well. But then now lately they keep wanting to roost. :hit

They DO get old so quickly!!!!! Yep if they are 4 weeks they are pretty much fully feathered and done with the heat.

They really do!! I can’t believe they are so old and big already! :hit

And yeah, I think they are mostly all fully feathered. It’s funny cause even last week one or two were and the others were behind but now they all are. Although I do worry about a couple that aren’t quite there yet.

4 weeks they are telling you they are about done, Kelsey. Turn it off but leave it in there for a few days. They’ll huddle under it and put off enough of their own heat to make it comfortable. Mine is turned to 1, or 2 at the most, at around 3 weeks, and totally off with the brooder removed completely at the 4 week mark, and it’s still colder here that time of year than it is where you are. In fact, despite the multiple hailstorms, tornadoes, flooding, landslides, rock slides, and thunderstorms Wyoming has “enjoyed” over the past week or so, we have heavy snow warnings for this weekend over the mountains. Laramie and vicinity has had snow the last few days and that’s not up in the mountains. Ah, springtime in Wyoming...gotta love it.

We have to go over the mountains on Sunday for a cornerstone ceremony in Buffalo, but they’re expecting 6-12 inches of new snow up there, and some spots could get up to 16 inches of wet snow. Peachy! We got a little concerned today when the only roads over there were closed. Hwys 14, 14A, and 16 were all closed due to landslides and major rock falls. The only other way to go, WYO 20/789, (Wind River Canyon) was also closed to to rockslides. They were rerouting traffic either through Yellowstone or Billings, but it’s been reopened now, although still unstable. It always is in spring. That left us driving 2 hours up to Billings and then taking the Interstate down, but not only does that add hours to the trip, but the section around Hardin, Mt. had flood watches. Dayton and Ranchester, just onpver the mountains, are experiencing catastrophic flooding, as is Sheridan, and snow melt runoff hasn’t even started yet. It’s gonna be a looong year. Fortunately all three passes opened this afternoon, but the landslide and rockfall danger is still extremely high.

I misspoke, Bruce....it was Gene’s 70 year commemoration, not his 75th. It was hard to read through the wine smudged ink. He is 91 and looks way, way younger than that. That lovely lady next to him is his wife. Believe it or not she proudly announced that her 84th birthday is Saturday. If you’ll notice, Mr. Grand Master is actually SMILING!! So now we know he can do it.

030808BF-C59C-4F53-8714-43DE89627821.jpeg 932727EC-6109-428D-9B3A-4E36F2AA43FA.jpeg 539E7DC2-6CB2-4D3E-A743-30138E7F24E4.jpeg

Kendra’s toes are getting better relatively quickly, but still have a long way to go. The Mondo Milk Massacre is finally funny to us, too! But we picked up new locks for the fridge doors today. No point tempting fate, since I seemed to have rescued Ken’s keyboard in time. Life with Kendra is not for the faint-hearted, but it’s always for the lighthearted!

Thank you Blooie!! I will try turning it off then and then removing it. I have been turning it off during the day though as it’s been pretty warm and I figure they don’t need it. So I’ve been turning it off during the day and back on at night. But I’ll try just leaving it off completely.

4 weeks they are telling you they are about done, Kelsey. Turn it off but leave it in there for a few days. They’ll huddle under it and put off enough of their own heat to make it comfortable. Mine is turned to 1, or 2 at the most, at around 3 weeks, and totally off with the brooder removed completely at the 4 week mark, and it’s still colder here that time of year than it is where you are. In fact, despite the multiple hailstorms, tornadoes, flooding, landslides, rock slides, and thunderstorms Wyoming has “enjoyed” over the past week or so, we have heavy snow warnings for this weekend over the mountains. Laramie and vicinity has had snow the last few days and that’s not up in the mountains. Ah, springtime in Wyoming...gotta love it.

We have to go over the mountains on Sunday for a cornerstone ceremony in Buffalo, but they’re expecting 6-12 inches of new snow up there, and some spots could get up to 16 inches of wet snow. Peachy! We got a little concerned today when the only roads over there were closed. Hwys 14, 14A, and 16 were all closed due to landslides and major rock falls. The only other way to go, WYO 20/789, (Wind River Canyon) was also closed to to rockslides. They were rerouting traffic either through Yellowstone or Billings, but it’s been reopened now, although still unstable. It always is in spring. That left us driving 2 hours up to Billings and then taking the Interstate down, but not only does that add hours to the trip, but the section around Hardin, Mt. had flood watches. Dayton and Ranchester, just onpver the mountains, are experiencing catastrophic flooding, as is Sheridan, and snow melt runoff hasn’t even started yet. It’s gonna be a looong year. Fortunately all three passes opened this afternoon, but the landslide and rockfall danger is still extremely high.

I misspoke, Bruce....it was Gene’s 70 year commemoration, not his 75th. It was hard to read through the wine smudged ink. He is 91 and looks way, way younger than that. That lovely lady next to him is his wife. Believe it or not she proudly announced that her 84th birthday is Saturday. If you’ll notice, Mr. Grand Master is actually SMILING!! So now we know he can do it.

View attachment 1794581 View attachment 1794583 View attachment 1794584

Kendra’s toes are getting better relatively quickly, but still have a long way to go. The Mondo Milk Massacre is finally funny to us, too! But we picked up new locks for the fridge doors today. No point tempting fate, since I seemed to have rescued Ken’s keyboard in time. Life with Kendra is not for the faint-hearted, but it’s always for the lighthearted!
Glad to hear Kendra is doing better. :hugs
Hey, sounds like my brother has been up there in Wyoming....we posted signs all over to tell people to watch for him...his name is Falling rocks! :lau

Back
Top Bottom