The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Those babies are adorable, and they are going to grow into beautiful birds. 🥰

Sadly one of our bantam hens was attacked and killed by a stoat on Saturday. :hit The chickens stayed locked up on Sunday (which they were most put out about) and I've walked our dog around and around their area to put the stoat off coming back again. We've put the cattle around the chickens to eat down all the tall clumps of grass too. So far we've seen no sign of it again and we got a trap from the Regional Council which is set with rabbit meat which is apparently their favourite. The lady there said she wasn't surprised as this time of year the young ones get kicked out of the den to fend for themselves. And she said there will be Kiwi in the area and there are definitely some on the farm across the road! It's awesome to think they are around, but sadly up to 90% of young Kiwi are killed off by stoats. Horrid creatures.

It doesn't help that our dork of a young cockerel (the big boy) keeps trying to get the girls to nest as far away from the coop as he can get, in the longest patches of grass. 🙄

Hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Hope those ducklings don't take too long for you @igorsMistress .
So sad to hear that Jae! I imagine the fur would make a nice warm neck wrap during the winter months. 😉

Congratulations on becoming a Mum - you'll be a busy lady. I have a February baby too (though for me that meant my last trimester suffering through a hot, humid summer - not well planned). 🤣
My boys were both born in September...my last trimester was during the heat of summer also...at least we don't have a lot of humidity here! They were what we call New Years babies...born 9 months later...:gig

Morning Rene, happy Tuesday!
Good morning Debby! I woke up a little earlier today so had time to pop on before I have to head to town!
How is your Thanksgiving prep going? I'm going to make something different this year. I was looking up pumpkin pie recipes and I ran across one called a French Pumpkin Pie...it has apple in it and the crust is puff pastry! Hopefully I can find everything I need to bake it.
Thank you, have a great day!

Sadly one of our bantam hens was attacked and killed by a stoat on Saturday. :hit The chickens stayed locked up on Sunday (which they were most put out about) and I've walked our dog around and around their area to put the stoat off coming back again. We've put the cattle around the chickens to eat down all the tall clumps of grass too. So far we've seen no sign of it again and we got a trap from the Regional Council which is set with rabbit meat which is apparently their favourite. The lady there said she wasn't surprised as this time of year the young ones get kicked out of the den to fend for themselves. And she said there will be Kiwi in the area and there are definitely some on the farm across the road! It's awesome to think they are around, but sadly up to 90% of young Kiwi are killed off by stoats. Horrid creatures.

It doesn't help that our dork of a young cockerel (the big boy) keeps trying to get the girls to nest as far away from the coop as he can get, in the longest patches of grass. 🙄

Hi again Jae...thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes! 😊

Hi Debby! I’m off all week. I took vacation days for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday and Friday are paid holiday. That’s 10 days in a row off counting last Friday. It is much needed. I am going to have a hard time going back. I was hoping my bathrooms would be done by then but it’s going to be awhile.

A week from today. I hope everyone comes and doesn’t chicken out at the last minute.
Remodeling always takes longer than you think it will, sorry it won't be done when you had hoped! My husband just told me that he wants to start our kitchen remodel after the holidays. We will be putting in new tile & a new countertop. We will have to remove the base cabinets so that we can run the tile underneath them. I'm looking forward to the end result, but not what it will take to get there.
I hope everyone shows up too!

So sorry to hear about your chicken!

Back
Top Bottom