The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I did, not exactly what I wanted but with temps in the 90's I didn't have time to shop around.

This will be my first experience with a metal waterer, always used plastic before. What kind do you use Rene?
We've always used metal, but we have some plastic ones too & then we put in the water barrel & nipple system.

We've always used metal, but we have some plastic ones too & then we put in the water barrel & nipple system.

When I had a flock in FL, I figured metal was a waste of money the way everything rusts down there. It might work out ok here in Wyoming.

If I ever start a new flock, I'd like to try the nipple system from the get-go for chicks. Do have to use a heater in the barrel to keep the nipples from freezing in the winter?

When I had a flock in FL, I figured metal was a waste of money the way everything rusts down there. It might work out ok here in Wyoming.

If I ever start a new flock, I'd like to try the nipple system from the get-go for chicks. Do have to use a heater in the barrel to keep the nipples from freezing in the winter?
We tried something last year that didn't work out quite as well as we thought it would. So right at the moment we're back to our metal can until we get the energy up to fix it. We ran a submersible cable to keep the water from freezing & I don't know what happened, but the chickens decided they didn't want to use it anymore, I'm thinking the cable may have a problem & it might have shocked them, just a guess.🤷‍♀️ If that's what it was, I feel really bad about it. Up to that point they had no problems. I want to pull the cable out & wrap it on the outside to see if that will work. We are going to change out the nipples for the cup type & see if they will use it again. I really think heat tape will do the trick. But, we need to experiment. Ours did really well with it & while they were still young, they weren't babies anymore.

We tried something last year that didn't work out quite as well as we thought it would. So right at the moment we're back to our metal can until we get the energy up to fix it. We ran a submersible cable to keep the water from freezing & I don't know what happened, but the chickens decided they didn't want to use it anymore, I'm thinking the cable may have a problem & it might have shocked them, just a guess.🤷‍♀️ If that's what it was, I feel really bad about it. Up to that point they had no problems. I want to pull the cable out & wrap it on the outside to see if that will work. We are going to change out the nipples for the cup type & see if they will use it again. I really think heat tape will do the trick. But, we need to experiment. Ours did really well with it & while they were still young, they weren't babies anymore.
You can buy them!

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=120&species_id[0]=6

Back
Top Bottom