The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

What do you heat your water in, something like a stock tank? :pop

Hope your sleet has cleared off Bob!
Sleet is gone. Pig is back on the A-frame. I use my 40 gallon stock pot to heat the water, lined the bed of the gator with a tarp and that became my scalder. I have an old cast iron tub that I want to turn into a scalder, but don't have the equipment (aka a tractor) to lift it and put it in place.

Is that true????
What, that is some places a fence lizard is called a Granny Hatchet or that our Granny doesn't look like that picture? ;)

NFC, thank you for the warm welcome and thanks all for the birthday wishes. Im not really 39 you know. That was a few yrs. back. :hugs
Especially since Granny is about a thousand years old, at least once a month she proclaims "today is my birthday" :D

Sleet is gone. Pig is back on the A-frame. I use my 40 gallon stock pot to heat the water, lined the bed of the gator with a tarp and that became my scalder. I have an old cast iron tub that I want to turn into a scalder, but don't have the equipment (aka a tractor) to lift it and put it in place.
Time for a tractor! And about 3 burners under the cast iron tub.
Maybe you can find four friends to help lift the tub onto whatever you build to support it? Or maybe a friend with a tractor? I'd be happy to help if you were a few miles away instead of nearly 900 (by crow).

Hi Deb, is this part of your 'fill the pantry' project?
should be.... I was very sick the next day... I am going to give it the ole try again today. Jars and eggs are safe in the refrigerator. But I am keeping them in the chill box even after I water bath them. Food safety guide lines say NO to water bath canning pickled eggs. But same guide lines say they will keep in the refrigerator for several months without canning.

So I am hedging my bets. :confused: :lau I suspect they will be all gone by the time moving day comes.... As it is I will be packing up frozen meat for the trip... Freezer will go in first thing and be reloaded.

Thank goodness I didnt fire up the new refrigerator and fill that with treasures.... I hope to actually do the beef and pork broths before the move though.... SMH A major portion of the freezer contents is Bones. Beef Pork Turkey chicken and fish... The turkey and chicken will become soups.

As it Is March moving may be pushed to APril any way. So I may get a handle on it sooner than later...

deb

Interesting, never had anything like that before!
Interesting, never had anything like that before!
Or you can cheat like me and open a can of beets and pour in the juice to add to the pickling brine instead of water. I like them both ways...

deb

Back
Top Bottom