The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Question for you guys that cook vegetables...

How do you roast beets? Confession time, I've never cooked them before.
smiley blush.gif

I've looked at several recipes online and some put them in foil, some don't. Some peel them, some don't. Some add a splash of vinegar. All I want are some slices that have been roasted with a bit of olive oil and salt. Is that not good?

What's the best way of doing this?

How do you roast beets? Confession time, I've never cooked them before. View attachment 2028000

I've looked at several recipes online and some put them in foil, some don't. Some peel them, some don't. Some add a splash of vinegar. All I want are some slices that have been roasted with a bit of olive oil and salt. Is that not good?

Maybe try them a couple of ways and see what you like best. I've only helped someone else roast beets and she would roast whole with the skin on because it's easier to remove the skin afterward. I'm a fan of pickled but that's about it.

Maybe try them a couple of ways and see what you like best. I've only helped someone else roast beets and she would roast whole with the skin on because it's easier to remove the skin afterward. I'm a fan of pickled but that's about it.

The only beets I've ever eaten were canned ones my mom used to make. She called them Harvard Beets and they had a sweet & tangy syrup on them.

Guess I'll just play around with them and see what happens. Thanks IM!

How do you roast beets? Confession time, I've never cooked them before. View attachment 2028000

Instant disclaimer : I have never roasted beets, but this is what I would do. Parboil them for 15 minutes. Remove the skins. Slice them to desired thickness, season to your taste and then bake for 20 minutes. :idunno

Instant disclaimer : I have never roasted beets, but this is what I would do. Parboil them for 15 minutes. Remove the skins. Slice them to desired thickness, season to your taste and then bake for 20 minutes. :idunno

That makes sense, thanks Sour! I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it works out :)

He drives 197km to get to work which works out at 122.41 miles
:th I sure hope that "work 4 days from home" request is granted. The poor man must be ready for bed foregoing dinner when he gets home!

The air compressor did a great job but now I have to dust...everything.
I should try that. Whatever idiot designed the underside of my refrigerator should be shot ... or required to go monthly to every house that has one and clean the fins ... which is IMPOSSIBLE without lifting the entire refrigerator a minimum of 6 inches off the ground. BTW, if people don't know: Whirlpool makes a LOT of the refrigerator brands. Same basic machine with the same flaws, just a different name on the outside and the instruction manual.

Debby, blanch them in boiling water for about 6 minutes. Plunge into an ice water bath for the same amount of time. Slip the skins off. Slice into about 1/8 - 1/4 inch sized slices, depending on your preference. (I just hook my mandarin over a bowl and slice them right into the bowl) Drizzle on a bit of olive oil, coarse salt, and ground pepper. Toss until coated. Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes to start, adding more time if you need to get to desired doneness or if you sliced them thicker. I like a bit of snap and bite to mine.

Sorry, I didn’t see your question somehow. Ken and I love beets just about any way except he also loves them pickled. I don’t. I love to make them exactly like mashed potatoes, too. I think that’s my favorite. I love the tiny ones steamed whole. I love to steam slices with carrot medallions and dip them in melted butter like crab or lobster. Now, if you’ll excuse me, there are two graham crackers calling my name. Bedtime snack, you know!

Debby, blanch them in boiling water for about 6 minutes. Plunge into an ice water bath for the same amount of time. Slip the skins off. Slice into about 1/8 - 1/4 inch sized slices, depending on your preference. (I just hook my mandarin over a bowl and slice them right into the bowl) Drizzle on a bit of olive oil, coarse salt, and ground pepper. Toss until coated. Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes to start, adding more time if you need to get to desired doneness or if you sliced them thicker. I like a bit of snap and bite to mine.

Sorry, I didn’t see your question somehow. Ken and I love beets just about any way except he also loves them pickled. I don’t. I love to make them exactly like mashed potatoes, too. I think that’s my favorite. I love the tiny ones steamed whole. I love to steam slices with carrot medallions and dip them in melted butter like crab or lobster. Now, if you’ll excuse me, there are two graham crackers calling my name. Bedtime snack, you know!

Thanks Blooie, I'm going to try fixing them today!

Good morning folks :frow

Good morning Bob! Do you get off work for President's Day?

Back
Top Bottom