The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

They don't have any chickens. In fact no animals at all other than the beef cattle.

Not much in my experience. They eat ALL the leaves off the plant if you don't get them off. They can do a TON of damage in one night. The start out really tiny, hard to see but in a short time are as big around as your thumb. If you have them there will be black "cubes" of hornworm poop on the leaves below them. Of course when the infestation is bad all you need to look for is the stems stripped of their leaves.

I've found out that there are 2 kinds of hornworms - tomato and tobacco. What I've always thought were tomato hornworms, the only kind I've ever seen in So. Cal and VT are actually tobacco hornworms.
Tomato (note the "V" stripes and black tail):
tomato_hornworm01.jpg

Tobacco (note the diagonal stripes and red tail):
tomato_hornworm02.jpg

Looks like it is getting a bit low .... like the pond behind my barn.

Never retire, when you do EVERY day is a work day!!

Not really, the bull can run faster than the backhoe can.

I'd be pretty POed if I were him too!
thereve.it know about the BBQ but the 30-06 was my first thought since talking to the rancher has yielded no results.

But, if "open range" is like TX is it the responsibility of the person who doesn't want the animals on their property to maintain barriers to keep them out? If so I suspect taking down the big guy might be illegal and Debby's DH needs to figure out how to keep a 1 ton bovine out of the golf course and suck it up if he isn't successful ... which would, well, suck!
I've been out of work since March 1. I've done my fair share of lounging and work both. Probably watched more TV in 4 months than I have in 4 years!

They don't have any chickens. In fact no animals at all other than the beef cattle.

Not much in my experience. They eat ALL the leaves off the plant if you don't get them off. They can do a TON of damage in one night. The start out really tiny, hard to see but in a short time are as big around as your thumb. If you have them there will be black "cubes" of hornworm poop on the leaves below them. Of course when the infestation is bad all you need to look for is the stems stripped of their leaves.

I've found out that there are 2 kinds of hornworms - tomato and tobacco. What I've always thought were tomato hornworms, the only kind I've ever seen in So. Cal and VT are actually tobacco hornworms.
Tomato (note the "V" stripes and black tail):
tomato_hornworm01.jpg

Tobacco (note the diagonal stripes and red tail):
tomato_hornworm02.jpg

Looks like it is getting a bit low .... like the pond behind my barn.

Never retire, when you do EVERY day is a work day!!

Not really, the bull can run faster than the backhoe can.

I'd be pretty POed if I were him too!

Don't know about the BBQ but the 30-06 was my first thought since talking to the rancher has yielded no results.

But, if "open range" is like TX is it the responsibility of the person who doesn't want the animals on their property to maintain barriers to keep them out? If so I suspect taking down the big guy might be illegal and Debby's DH needs to figure out how to keep a 1 ton bovine out of the golf course and suck it up if he isn't successful ... which would, well, suck!
I would notice a worm like that! Yuck!

Back
Top Bottom