The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Where did half a week go?! :lol:

My broody hatched her chicks yesterday. It was her first time and I left her with 6 of her own eggs and put 4 more of her eggs in the incubator just to ensure she was successful in her first attempt. I put the 4 from the incubator back under her about a week ago. She's now the very proud mother of 10 tiny darlings!

Lucky, the rescue turkey, got returned to the wild as he was most definitely a boy and harassing the chickens. DH took him back to the people who found him and they released him near the local flock, and he did follow after them so hopefully he'll find his way.

The 3 turkey were absolutely fine free ranging, until they discovered where the chickens hang out all day. Then they wouldn't leave. Things settled down for awhile with Lucky gone but unfortunately one of the white turkey decided it didn't like our Mottled Houdan hens (despite the fact that we have other chickens that look similar). Poor Pepper and Dorothy wouldn't come out of their coop, so that wasn't fair, and I figured with new chicken faces going to appear it was just too risky to keep the turkey. So the two white turkey are going to their new home on Friday. Currently they are with some cockerels in an enclosed coop and run.

We've had lots more rain today and even some thunder, lightning and hail. Our dam filled up quickly with the run off from the hills behind us, but our water tanks will take a bit longer to fill.
You have had quite an adventure!

Good morning.

:lol:

That's very true. When I lived in an apartment, I felt as if my landlord hated me just because things broke. I have boys; they were a lot younger at the time but even more destructive 🙄

Story time... 📖
The last winter (2016) we were at our apartment the heater made a loud POP then it sounded like it was louder than ever. I tried calling, they sent a contractor to tell me it was probably my fault for not having a filter. So, we cleaned and did all we could. 6 months later, in the heat of summer, the A/c heater unit thingy completely went out and our landlord didn't believe me. Took 3 days and 2 different contractors to say it was 2 different things before an actual heating & air guy came out and said a piece of the motor got worn out and broke... not my fault.
3 days in, a 2nd floor apartment with the heat of summer.... I had never been so livid and hot. My dad bought me a huge air conditioner to get us by.
Then a week later, I found out a landlord is obligated by law to repair the heating and air unit by 48 hours.
By that time, it was finally fixed.

Sooo happy I don't have to deal with that anymore!

Oh my goodness! I can definitely imagine myself doing the same thing. :lau when you're desperate, you'll do anything. Did you end up finding a spot?

Sounds very relaxing :) and I definitely know how those nights can be :D but I hate how exhausted I am in the morning. Sometimes worth it :p if the show is good.

Watches The Walking Dead last night - it was the best episode they've aired since the pandemic started.

I was thinking the same thing! Could make a cool quilt :love especially with all the band tshirts, some have the coolest logo @TheDawg I completely understand how hard it is to let go of those shirts. DH has at least 2 totes full of t-shirts he cannot part with. And he still has more shirts in his closet than I have in my entire wardrobe :lol:

:lol: pregnancy changes everything.

Hi JaeG! So eggcited for your broody to be a momma :D thats one ot my favorite parts of raising chickens. It's too bad you have to get rid of the turkeys. Being from the city, I didn't know there were wild turkeys until I was 20 :lau
Do Turkeys not get along with chickens?

Omgoodness you're genius! I am definitely putting that in my back pocket.... if there's ever an event that I need to.
Hope you have a great day!

Goood luck!! Stay safe :)
Not having AC in the summer here in California is Deadly!

Good morning all, again. One of the girls is standing in the door to the duck house quacking. The others were calling to her but they won’t go far without her so they’re hanging out on the patio rather than under the lemon tree. Egg? I’m waiting until my next break to check.

Oh come on, people lived there for a long time without it. We’re all a bunch of sissies :gig Not that I want to be without it mind you, but we’ve forgotten how to survive without modern conveniences. I vote for afternoon siestas! It’s a good way to pass the warm afternoons.

Where did half a week go?! :lol:

My broody hatched her chicks yesterday. It was her first time and I left her with 6 of her own eggs and put 4 more of her eggs in the incubator just to ensure she was successful in her first attempt. I put the 4 from the incubator back under her about a week ago. She's now the very proud mother of 10 tiny darlings!

Lucky, the rescue turkey, got returned to the wild as he was most definitely a boy and harassing the chickens. DH took him back to the people who found him and they released him near the local flock, and he did follow after them so hopefully he'll find his way.

The 3 turkey were absolutely fine free ranging, until they discovered where the chickens hang out all day. Then they wouldn't leave. Things settled down for awhile with Lucky gone but unfortunately one of the white turkey decided it didn't like our Mottled Houdan hens (despite the fact that we have other chickens that look similar). Poor Pepper and Dorothy wouldn't come out of their coop, so that wasn't fair, and I figured with new chicken faces going to appear it was just too risky to keep the turkey. So the two white turkey are going to their new home on Friday. Currently they are with some cockerels in an enclosed coop and run.

We've had lots more rain today and even some thunder, lightning and hail. Our dam filled up quickly with the run off from the hills behind us, but our water tanks will take a bit longer to fill.
Great news on the rain Jae! And very cool that the Tom followed the wild birds!

Good morning.

:lol:

That's very true. When I lived in an apartment, I felt as if my landlord hated me just because things broke. I have boys; they were a lot younger at the time but even more destructive 🙄

Story time... 📖
The last winter (2016) we were at our apartment the heater made a loud POP then it sounded like it was louder than ever. I tried calling, they sent a contractor to tell me it was probably my fault for not having a filter. So, we cleaned and did all we could. 6 months later, in the heat of summer, the A/c heater unit thingy completely went out and our landlord didn't believe me. Took 3 days and 2 different contractors to say it was 2 different things before an actual heating & air guy came out and said a piece of the motor got worn out and broke... not my fault.
3 days in, a 2nd floor apartment with the heat of summer.... I had never been so livid and hot. My dad bought me a huge air conditioner to get us by.
Then a week later, I found out a landlord is obligated by law to repair the heating and air unit by 48 hours.
By that time, it was finally fixed.

Sooo happy I don't have to deal with that anymore!

Oh my goodness! I can definitely imagine myself doing the same thing. :lau when you're desperate, you'll do anything. Did you end up finding a spot?

Sounds very relaxing :) and I definitely know how those nights can be :D but I hate how exhausted I am in the morning. Sometimes worth it :p if the show is good.

Watches The Walking Dead last night - it was the best episode they've aired since the pandemic started.

I was thinking the same thing! Could make a cool quilt :love especially with all the band tshirts, some have the coolest logo @TheDawg I completely understand how hard it is to let go of those shirts. DH has at least 2 totes full of t-shirts he cannot part with. And he still has more shirts in his closet than I have in my entire wardrobe :lol:

:lol: pregnancy changes everything.

Hi JaeG! So eggcited for your broody to be a momma :D thats one ot my favorite parts of raising chickens. It's too bad you have to get rid of the turkeys. Being from the city, I didn't know there were wild turkeys until I was 20 :lau
Do Turkeys not get along with chickens?

Omgoodness you're genius! I am definitely putting that in my back pocket.... if there's ever an event that I need to.
Hope you have a great day!

Goood luck!! Stay safe :)

Good morning Mad :frow You win a prize for the bad landlord contest...what a pain all that was!

Good morning Mad :frow Have a wonderful Wednesday 😉

I don't like apartment living, it brings out my not nice side and that's not good. Not getting things repaired, children and adults jumping around at all hours above you, noises coming through walls that you'd rather not hear. I could go on, but I'll stop.

Apartment living does have it's challenges for sure!

I lived in the upper 1/2 of an old house one time and a newly married couple lived in the bottom 1/2. Their favorite form of entertainment was to have screaming matches in the middle of the night, night after night. After I complained to them, the wife told me that was their way of working things out. I told her if they worked things out like that again, they could explain it to the cops. They moved. I wonder if they're still married. :lau

Good morning all, again. One of the girls is standing in the door to the duck house quacking. The others were calling to her but they won’t go far without her so they’re hanging out on the patio rather than under the lemon tree. Egg? I’m waiting until my next break to check.

That would be cool...a first duck egg! Let us know :pop

Good morning Mad :frow Have a wonderful Wednesday 😉

I don't like apartment living, it brings out my not nice side and that's not good. Not getting things repaired, children and adults jumping around at all hours above you, noises coming through walls that you'd rather not hear. I could go on, but I'll stop.
Same here... but also for that reason, I felt so bad for the neighbors under us.
Seriously! And droughts and fires do not help.
I wonder what shes doing. Hopefully an egg!?
Oh come on, people lived there for a long time without it. We’re all a bunch of sissies :gig Not that I want to be without it mind you, but we’ve forgotten how to survive without modern conveniences. I vote for afternoon siestas! It’s a good way to pass the warm afternoons.
Definitely a sissy here :frow hahaha. I think I could survive heat if there's water and shade :lol:
Good morning Mad :frow You win a prize for the bad landlord contest...what a pain all that was!
🏆 thank you :p it was... adulting is no fun.

Back
Top Bottom