The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Back in my nursing days, I did the edu for some of the local prisons on heat strokes. I don't know how they keep inmates alive in those prisons with no air-conditioning and those tiny windows. Or the guards, for that matter. I guess people adapt.

The best thing to do when someone overheats to the point of feeling faint is to hydrate, and to pack cool, wet towels under their arms and around their neck.
If they are experiencing nausea and cramps and have a fever, then they need immediate medical treatment.
The Gatorade helps because of the added sodium and potassium. They have dehydrated and lost potassium (and other minerals) from their cells. They become nauseous and have stomach cramps, as well as a headache. The muscles need that potassium in order to work, so the next thing to happen would be severe muscle cramps. That's when it becomes very dangerous, because your heart is a muscle too. Heat stroke is nothing to take lightly. Once you hit the naseous stage it advances quickly.

Haha...sorry for the preachy tone, I just want everyone to stay safe. I had a "heat event" several years ago and had to make a few life changes. This was after I began doing the edu speeches. I knew better.🙄

My husband won't stay out of the heat either. He stopped wearing his sunscreen too...says it gets in his eyes when he sweats. I told him to "use the sunscreen, you need it. It's the reason people think your married to a younger woman."🤣

Is anyone here a book lover like me? Someone mentioned this site in a post a few days ago and it's awesome!
bookoutlet.com
They have all sorts of categories...history, novels, nature, cooking, crafts, etc. The books "are marked down because most of them are marked with a small line or dot on the edge by publishers who sell us their returns and excess inventory. The books we sell are new, unread, and in good condition." Their inventory is constantly changing and the prices are very, very reasonable.

Back in my nursing days, I did the edu for some of the local prisons on heat strokes. I don't know how they keep inmates alive in those prisons with no air-conditioning and those tiny windows. Or the guards, for that matter. I guess people adapt.

The best thing to do when someone overheats to the point of feeling faint is to hydrate, and to pack cool, wet towels under their arms and around their neck.
If they are experiencing nausea and cramps and have a fever, then they need immediate medical treatment.
The Gatorade helps because of the added sodium and potassium. They have dehydrated and lost potassium (and other minerals) from their cells. They become nauseous and have stomach cramps, as well as a headache. The muscles need that potassium in order to work, so the next thing to happen would be severe muscle cramps. That's when it becomes very dangerous, because your heart is a muscle too. Heat stroke is nothing to take lightly. Once you hit the naseous stage it advances quickly.

Haha...sorry for the preachy tone, I just want everyone to stay safe. I had a "heat event" several years ago and had to make a few life changes. This was after I began doing the edu speeches. I knew better.🙄

My husband won't stay out of the heat either. He stopped wearing his sunscreen too...says it gets in his eyes when he sweats. I told him to "use the sunscreen, you need it. It's the reason people think your married to a younger woman."🤣

Excellent info Janie :thumbsup

Is anyone here a book lover like me? Someone mentioned this site in a post a few days ago and it's awesome!
bookoutlet.com
They have all sorts of categories...history, novels, nature, cooking, crafts, etc. The books "are marked down because most of them are marked with a small line or dot on the edge by publishers who sell us their returns and excess inventory. The books we sell are new, unread, and in good condition." Their inventory is constantly changing and the prices are very, very reasonable.
I have so many books, I could be a lending library, I have always loved reading and I passed it on to my son. DD likes to read, but not as much and DS likes to read to learn also.

bookoutlet.com
Thanks! I might have a new addiction. I love their selection of children's books.

Back
Top Bottom