The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

It’s been awhile since I decorated any. I may lose my ability :D
Somehow I don't think that will ever happen!

I never could understand why the military never weaponized skunks ! Just think if you were in a fox hole and a plane dropped a pile of skunks on you . :eek::wee
Legal chemical warfare!!

What do you all think of this cockerel/pullet?
Pullet. That tiny bit of red you saw before is a non starter, just something to get you worried ;) At her age she would be more obviously a cockerel. Does her half brother crow? He's an easy comparison to her. Brother-sister from another mother :D

JaeG said:
One of our Orpingtons, as a pullet, would crow every morning. She stopped once she started to lay eggs. So I don't rely on crowing unless there's other evidence it's a boy. :lol:
I've had hens crow but never as pullets, that is pretty odd.
That is pretty odd. I've had hens crow but never a pullet. That would make me seriously concerned about having a mis-sexed bird from the hatchery.

Somehow I don't think that will ever happen!

Legal chemical warfare!!

Pullet. That tiny bit of red you saw before is a non starter, just something to get you worried ;) At her age she would be more obviously a cockerel. Does her half brother crow? He's an easy comparison to her. Brother-sister from another mother :D

That is pretty odd. I've had hens crow but never a pullet. That would make me seriously concerned about having a mis-sexed bird from the hatchery.
Yep. The two males are crowing already.

I rehomed the pullet and one of the males, along with 8 hens tonight.
I felt horrible, poor girls were screeching like crazy. I probably won't sleep for worrying about them.😪 But. The family that took them was so nice. I let them hand feed them and pick out a few very friendly ones. I tried to keep buddies together.
I'm down to around mid thirties now. I need to rehome more. I'd like to get down to 12 to 20 but I have trouble letting them go. I have a broody hen that I'm trying to break now.

I felt horrible, poor girls were screeching like crazy. I probably won't sleep for worrying about them.😪 But. The family that took them was so nice. I let them hand feed them and pick out a few very friendly ones. I tried to keep buddies together.
I'm down to around mid thirties now. I need to rehome more. I'd like to get down to 12 to 20 but I have trouble letting them go. I have a broody hen that I'm trying to break now.
I have a broody that has hatched one chick so far. Nobody laid eggs in her nest for ages, and then suddenly, without me realising (that's when you know you have too many :lol:) quite a few hens were donating to her cause.

The same thing happened with a bantam broody and I specifically gave her three eggs that I wanted her to hatch because no one else was disturbing her nest so I thought I was safe. Now it's 'the place' to lay and I keep forgetting to take a marker up with me when I go up to see them to mark the eggs I want incubated (the chickens are a bit of a trek from the house, but in the most sheltered spot).

We'll be doing a bit of rehoming too soon.

Broody’s are not fun!

Lol. Same thing here, that's why my rooster is Doris.
I once called a Male rabbit Jessica. He was 5 before I found out it was a boy
Good morning, Marie.
Good morning, Mark.
The military might consider dogs. My boxers make the most nohxious fumes.
My dog would make a good companion with your boxer. They would work well together against our enemies
Thank you. I'm hoping they will be rehomed together. It is less traumatic with a buddy.
Agreed, it's good too know they have at least one friend
Good morning, Mad. I usually guess the opposite way...so many crowing "pullets" around here!🙈
My hen used to crow I thought she was a boy for ages
Thanks, Sour. I would have sworn that I saw red on her wing, but no sign of it now. I looked back through photos and found this one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom