The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good deal DMC! How many acres do you guys have anyway?
We own/farm a little over 3 quarters of land. We are puny farmers. There are several big farmers around us that farm 1000’s of acres. We’d like to pick up more but at $6-$7000 an acre we can’t. Our boys want to farm but it’s not even possible right now. My youngest works part time for another farmer(when he’s not working his other 60 plus hour a week job)who will be retiring in a year or two. He may be able to rent his land. This farmers dad passed away not to long ago and his land will be going up for sale along with a house. My son would like to buy the house and a little land. I hope it happens for him but he’ll have some major debt.

We own/farm a little over 3 quarters of land. We are puny farmers. There are several big farmers around us that farm 1000’s of acres. We’d like to pick up more but at $6-$7000 an acre we can’t. Our boys want to farm but it’s not even possible right now. My youngest works part time for another farmer(when he’s not working his other 60 plus hour a week job)who will be retiring in a year or two. He may be able to rent his land. This farmers dad passed away not to long ago and his land will be going up for sale along with a house. My son would like to buy the house and a little land. I hope it happens for him but he’ll have some major debt.

It's really tough starting a farm any more, it's so expensive. The cost of the land and equipment are crazy, hope things work out for your son.

It's really tough starting a farm any more, it's so expensive. The cost of the land and equipment are crazy, hope things work out for your son.
Thanks Debby, me too!
It’s not just land and equipment. There’s fertilizer and seed and crop insurance and costly repairs. I have a friend whose husband likes to smack talk farmers and how rich they are. Makes me want to smack him but it’s the life we chose. Hubby worked a full time job and farmed after work for many years.

Thanks Debby, me too!
It’s not just land and equipment. There’s fertilizer and seed and crop insurance and costly repairs. I have a friend whose husband likes to smack talk farmers and how rich they are. Makes me want to smack him but it’s the life we chose. Hubby worked a full time job and farmed after work for many years.

A cousin of mine and her husband had a small farm when they first got married. They eventually gave it up, said it was easier to go to a regular job and not go through all the heartache a farm will give. Plus there's that whole steady paycheck thing.

My hat is off to you and your DH, I have a lot of admiration for farmers.

A cousin of mine and her husband had a small farm when they first got married. They eventually gave it up, said it was easier to go to a regular job and not go through all the heartache a farm will give. Plus there's that whole steady paycheck thing.

My hat is off to you and your DH, I have a lot of admiration for farmers.
Thank you Debby:hugsFarming is definitely a gamble. My dad was a farmer and I swore I’d never marry one…here we are, 28 years later:lol:

I have to show you all this little fat chick (don't take that as an insult, I'm not so svelte myself). He just makes me laugh out loud every time he runs past.😁 I think his name will be Butter Bean.
Screenshot_20210927-171602_Gallery.jpg

I just love this song. I hope it's okay to share it here...

I like that song, never saw the music video before.
Corn harvest has begun. I like to ride in the combine for corn. Soybeans are done.:yesss:
View attachment 2848378
Wow! Amazing!
I'm not the sweetest cookie in the jar either, but I'm sweet enough.
We just gotta work with what we've got. 😆
That's a good one! :gig
I have to show you all this little fat chick (don't take that as an insult, I'm not so svelte myself). He just makes me laugh out loud every time he runs past.😁 I think his name will be Butter Bean.
View attachment 2848605
So pretty! I noticed all your chickens have such beautiful plumage.

Back
Top Bottom