The odd chicken continues - gaping, sneezing, dark comb, but acting normal?

jaluspn

Hatching
Sep 29, 2023
Hello! I'm not sure if you remember my post a couple of weeks back about this new, odd chook I rescued. Well, she's going well? Maybe?

She's still alive, which I think for chickens means something. She still eats and drinks and preens and pecks around. But still the intense gaping with stretched neck continues, as well as an almost crow (maybe unrelated?) and sneezing intermittently. Her comb has also darkened to a very deep purple-red which I know can be a sign of heart or respiratory issues. Up close I can hear a rasping sound in her throat, though don't notice anything in her chest. Her mouth looks clear.

I've been treating her for the past 5 days with Oxymav B antibiotics and have seen maybe a slight improvement if anything. Also adding apple cider vinegar to water after she drinks her dose (she does seem a little thirstier than the average chicken. Could that mean something?). I've kept her diet to pellets which she eats happily.

Any ideas? Could it be the uncommon gapeworm? A tumour? A bad case of sour crop (it does feel a little squishy, but is empty in the mornings and I don't smell anything bad about her breath)? I don't want to do anything drastic as she seems to not be in any pain or losing condition. It's just...odd. I'd love to get her healthier if I can.

Rescuing chickens with respiratory illness can spread those to your other chickens. There is no way to know the exact issue until a necropsy could be done by a vet after death. Since she has improved some with the oxytetracycline, I would complete a 7 day treatment, which can help with mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. But those diseases are never cured, but may improve for a time. I would worm her with Panacur or fenbendazole 10% 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days. That will treat the major worms including gapeworm. Since she is active and eating okay, that is a good sign.

Rescuing chickens with respiratory illness can spread those to your other chickens. There is no way to know the exact issue until a necropsy could be done by a vet after death. Since she has improved some with the oxytetracycline, I would complete a 7 day treatment, which can help with mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. But those diseases are never cured, but may improve for a time. I would worm her with Panacur or fenbendazole 10% 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days. That will treat the major worms including gapeworm. Since she is active and eating okay, that is a good sign.
I have her isolated from the others in hopes of preventing spread, but I do understand there will always be risks.

Thank you, I will attempt that. Each day she seems healthier but still some symptoms remain which is what has me stumped.

If she was with them earlier, there is no need to separate her since they would have already been exposed, possibly at the same time she was.

Back
Top Bottom