The Ol' Switcharoo- Will mama accept incubator eggs after I take her chicks away?

(I thought that viability went way down after a week or two in the fridge but I guess not!?)
Real life doesn't work in absolutes, "if" or "can" are very big words.

Even stored in perfect conditions eggs can lose viability the longer they are stored. How fast they lose viability (the ability to develop and hatch) depends on how they are stored and on the individual egg. Some eggs are just stronger than others. I know you read on this forum that putting an egg in the refrigerator means it absolutely cannot be hatched. That is wrong. The further you are from ideal storage conditions (either too warm or too cool) the faster they can lose viability, but many eggs stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator maintain viability pretty well.

it sounds like it is working out very well for you. I'm glad. Here's hoping for the best.

know you read on this forum that putting an egg in the refrigerator means it absolutely cannot be hatched.
Nah, I just had always assumed the cold in the fridge injured the germinal disk in some way, but eggs are resilient. That's why I candled them anyway. I've owned and hatched chickens for 18 years, but this year I am incorporating chickens into my educational curriculum (I'm an environmental educator), and taking a more active role in hatching and brooding. Usually I let the hens sort it out. As with anything, there is always more to be learned.

Final update for those interested:
The broody hen has continued to sit steadily through the last week. She is now louse-free and the LF eggs started to hatch in the incubator yesterday. She has accepted the interlopers just fine- a happy outcome for all!
The five serama chicks are healthy and energetic as well, with a much better hatch rate under a broody than I've ever had in the brinsea. My students will be excited to see the difference between broody-raised chicks and those raised by humans.
Another hen just decided to go broody, so she has been given the developing five fridge eggs. So many chicks! It's definitely spring! Thank you for the input and encouragement, and I hope this post helps someone feel confident about addressing a similar situation in the future.
20240322_090350.jpg

RcoM, these phoenix crosses are incredibly persistent broodies! I've had them hatch chicks in the woods with a 100% hatch rate even after a big rain storm (I found the nests after)! Also in the hay loft, under the deck, and in any secret place they can find. This hen seemed to go right back into "the zone" as soon as I had taken her serama chicks away. When she saw the first incubator chick she settled right on it. She's a very good mama hen. I am not sure first-time broodies or less broody breeds would have reacted the same way.

Back
Top Bottom