The Old Folks Home

New batch of chicks!
20200704_010213.jpg

Beets....
My harvests resulted in three sizes: Little ones (prepped these marbles as salad additions), medium ones that were canned/pickled whole, and big ones that were diced and either canned or cooked as a side dish with butter/balsamic reduction sauce.
BUT found a recipe for beet greens that has turned into one of our favorites. So gleaned the beet greens into little leaves for salad, regular unblemished leaves for the sauteed greens, and the rest chopped for the chickens.

BEET GREENS with ORANGE and GINGER

About 10 oz of beet leaves (equivalent to a very full frying pan full)
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. shredded or minced ginger root
1/2 c. orange juice
1 t. orange zest (optional)
salt and pepper to season

Heat butter and olive oil, add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
Add orange juice and zest and reduce the liquid to almost a glaze.
Turn down the heat and add the beet greens, toss as they wilt.
Season with salt and pepper. Place greens in collander to drain off liquid. Serve.

(Note: Any greens can be substituted for the beet greens: Turnip, mustard, kale, chard or spinach. A scattering of 1/3 c. crumbled goat cheese to fancy-up the dish, if desired.)
thanks for that recipe - sounds lovely!

Those that worked his shift, were already notified, and tested.

I spent a few hours in the E.R. No, not from Covid. I've been experiencing some lung discomfort. Yes, I can breath fine. It felt sort of like when I got fluid in the pleural space, and had to have it taken care of. It has to do with the adhesions. Nothing to be concerned about, for now. No need to stay in there over the weekend. YAY!!!!

Eh, it sure is nice to breathe. Breathing better now? Did they have to drain stuff?

Gosh, I hope everyone is feeling better. Looks like I will be waiting until Monday or Tuesday for lab report.

Waiting can cause a person to stress. :hugs

I am glad you have the chicks to distract you. I missed... were these chicks shipped chicks, shipped eggs that you hatched? Or your own eggs that you hatched?

Eh, it sure is nice to breathe. Breathing better now? Did they have to drain stuff?

Waiting can cause a person to stress. :hugs

I am glad you have the chicks to distract you. I missed... were these chicks shipped chicks, shipped eggs that you hatched? Or your own eggs that you hatched?
Oh gosh, my incubators just keep gobbling up eggs like Pac man. Next think you know, I have more chicks! I am really glad I am able to sell them or I would be swimming in chickens by now! And yes, they are my own eggs.

Back
Top Bottom