The Old Folks Home

When the hurricane hit a year and a half ago, there were lots of fallen trees, limbs, etc. We got a couple huge limbs from our neighbor's tree that had fallen, cut them more to size, and put them in the runs. Yesterday late evening, I inspected my coops, and runs. I noticed that there are a few "mushrooms" growing on them. They're toxic. I suspect the hen may have tried eating a mushroom. At this point, that's the only thing I can come up with that might have killed my chicken. Later today, Dd #1 is going to help me drag the limbs out of the runs.

Morning everyone.

Sorry for the losses. I lost my hen that was suffering from water belly a couple weeks ago. Expected it and was surprised she lasted as long as she did. Still even when it's expected, it's tough.

My bachelor coop has one window in it. It's covered with hardware cloth and I mounted a piece of goat fencing along with a piece of cattle panel over the window on the inside. The window is propped open with a stainless steel rod and is about 4 feet off the ground. I went out yesterday to find the rod on the ground and the window closed. Hmmmmm. Raccoon? Probably. It's the time of the year that the young ones are leaving mom and tempting fate. It was open this morning so maybe the little twerp moved on. DH suggested I extend my hot wire to in front of the coop. May do that this afternoon.

It's close to 100 here today. I'm debating tossing the chickens all outside where while it is hot, there is a breeze blowing and a tarp up for shade. We are supposed to have storms later. I hope. We are parched.

5$ a pound for grass fed beef? Whow, that is a great price.

There are farms here selling grass fed beef and it's pricey. I'd be happy to find somebody who would sell me a quarter. That's all the room I have in the freezer.

What breed chickens do you have that tolerate that heat?
I have a pita pinta, two blue egg layers form the University of Arkansas and one hen I hatched from trader Joes eggs.

The UofA blue egg layers are EE crossed with leghorn. The Trader Joes hen is a commercial leghorn and the Pita Pinta is a Spanish breed. They are all very heat tolerant.

They do not pant unless it gets over 90 even without the mist system. With the mist system, they did not pant at 115 yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom