The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Oh thank you for posting this! We had a ton of those in our yard where I grew up (Maryland). I called them Sputnik Trees. I loved playing with the grapes of pollen and the "sputniks."

I don't recall my parents complaining about them at all, except the massive amounts of pollen it would put out.
  2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You obviously did not run around bare-footed much. That is where the trees lose their charm and turn people against them.
  3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Nope. We lived on a farm. You always wore shoes.
  4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    What a cool looking tree! I would be unhappy about the 'Sputniks' with my bare foot favoritism, however. I hate to wear shoes.

There are a couple of trees that dump things that look like that around here, but I don't recall any fall leaves that look so nice. I think it's the Sycamores around here, and they have leaves like dinner plates, drop twigs on you if you look at them wrong, and bark that peels off in big sheets.

Oh, my. Look at this...

Wikipedia says: Fallen, opened fruits are often abundant beneath the trees; these have been popularly nicknamed "burr (or bir) balls",[12] "gum balls",[17] "space bugs", "monkey balls", "bommyknockers", "sticker balls",[18] or "Poink-a-pons".[citation needed]

Hereafter I shall refer to something (dunno what yet) as a bommyknocker or a poink-a-pon. I must.
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Greetings from the other side of the planet.

Lots happening. A big hatch is underway. The boar semen has been ordered and will be delivered on Tuesday. I will do the AI Tuesday - Thursday. I have been sorting teenage poultry. We put several roos in the fridge.

My daughters birthday was a huge hit. She had a two tier pink fondant cake with a fondant fairy princess crown. It was at Jollibee - Google it. The mascot did his dance and the kids were very happy.

I have been looking at locations at around 3500 feet should I win the lotto. I would love the cooler mountain air.

Our gardens are struggling to retain moisture even with lots of rain. I am thinking about doing a prototype raised bed on a layer of something pretty permanent to slow down drainage. I wish we had clay near by. I would truck in 20 meters.
  6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'm moving dirt today in anticipation of planting the garden this week. I've already moved a yard of it and now need to go get another yard in BF's truck. I usually drive a small car, stick shift. This giant Chevy, in automatic transmission, really scares me (and should scare everyone on the roads with me, too). Speaking of which, I need to remember to pick up BF from work today. [​IMG]

The hot hive that I installed yesterday seems to have calmed down a bit and so far hasn't driven me off from the planting area. Yesterday it was hordes of bees attacking us... today it is only a few. They are still gentle(ish), they haven't stung, but they sure are trying to communicate that they want you out of there.

Oz, when are you coming up to Maine? I could have you do a semen install in my goat.
  7. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have two and I hate them. When I mow they shoot out like bullets. The trees are huge and I have to rake every year or you would break and ankle walking. With or without shoes
  8. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    I love love love this idea
    and me here at 3400 feet in the lower Sierras have a great climate. 10-15 degrees cooler than the Valley so we rarely get to 100 in the summer. and its a dry heat but not too dry like Nevada.
    It does not get real cold either. we can get a good amount of snow but generally when it snows its around freezing and does not last too long except down past the chicken area in the shade.
    we probably average 30-40 inches of snow a year here with 50 inches of moisture of which occurs from October thru May , a few thunderstorms in the summer. A interesting point there has been more and more of these the last decade. If you go another 1600 feet up to 5000 feet they get well over 150 inches of snow a year and up at 8000 feet over 40 feet. The average winter snow line is 4500 feet . We usually get the really cold ice water rain in winter as I call it. The kind when your out working in the pierces your body lol.
    Liquidambar Styraciflua . it is a great fall color tree even out in California but the spiky balls turn people off . there is a variety called Rotundiloba that does not get them
  9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'll trade you those trees for the acres of poison ivy I have. I'd rather rake those sputniks up... plus the idea of throwing them while mowing is intriguing.

I managed to get the truck out, get a load of dirt, and get the truck lodged back near the original dirt drop off location around the side of the house which is a really narrow location... without having too many "there's no clutch" panic moments. BF will have to extricate his truck this evening. Just getting it there I almost hit the duck pool, the duck waterer, the duck enclosure, the goat enclosure, the house, the rocks in front of the house, the chicken tractor...
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chooks Chick I had the misfortune of planting a sapling Sycamore tree in 1973, I liked the big leaves. I got it at Kmart, nothing on it t said : it will be huge, it will throw abundant branches to the ground for no reason, it will have a huge branch spread that will try to get in your bedroom windows/ rub shingles off the roof.

Also it is the latest to put out leaves and the last to dump them - long after our free leaf pick-up ends. Then too, it produces big balls of seed. They were fun to throw at things because they poof and spread millions of seeds everywhere. So far I haven't seen signs of them sprouting BUT, when they poof seeds my throat gets tight and I have endless coughing. I don't bother seed balls anymore.

I would never have one again unless I had many acres and would locate it far from home., it does make good shade when it actually has leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by