The Old Folks Home

Maybe they travel far to mate?
I think they travel to find a nesting spot. We usually find a slider or red ear close to the house happily scooping out dirt to make hole. I found one waddling along the levy around the lagoon that is now in the Cattle Dog's territory. I put her back in the lagoon twice, found her out the 3rd time and watched her. She went right to a spot in tall grass and started digging. Sure enough, she laid a clutch of eggs, covered them and disappeared. I never did find out if she went back to the lagoon or went to our pond which is about 700 feet from the house. We've watched them do the same thing near the pond and have had to detour around them.

I need signs that say 'Turtle Maternity Ward.'

about 4 years ago we were in the timber and heard one of our dogs barking. Found her standing over a snapping turtle in the timber, about 300 feet from our smaller pond, yep, digging a nest.

At least the dog had enough sense NOT to mess with her.

I have another broody, Screech this time. Silly girl opens her mouth like a velociraptor and screams at the top of her lungs when I pull eggs out from under her. I can only handle two broodies at a time. No more room so she's going in the broody buster pen.
Lol, I have 8 broodies, down from 10.

I have been carrying my two broodies outside every evening when the other birds are locked up and letting them run around in the run and poop. In spite of this, Betty 'leaked' on two of her eggs.

You know you are a dedicated chicken parent when you stand and patiently scrape dried chicken poop off an egg with your fingernail and all you can think instead of eeeewwwwww is, thank GOD she only has 2-3 more days, hopefully the chicks are okay!:fl

So did you drink the kool aid and buy some goat?
Yeah, I got 4 of them reserved! Only one is old enough to go home, so it will be July 10th before I pick them up.
20200605_115918.jpg

You guys .it was negative...and I'm out of isolation. Sorry I didn't come back sooner.. It took 4 days for the result. I'm feet better now too. I did get more sick after the test..so have been taking it easy. Thursday I felt pretty good. Guess I just had another flu bug. No one else in the house got it! My kids think I was over stressed after having gone 5 weeks taking care of my sister on hospice in our home, then having her pass, and getting funeral arrangements and all. Yes, have to admit..that was stressful. I sure miss her. I was guardian of her for 14 years. She was almost like one of my own kids..she was my youngest sister. Mentally handicapped, sweetest little soul. Like I said before though, sure glad I got her out of the nursing home. I wouldn't have been able to be there for her. Thank you so much for the prayers. I'm serious when I say, I was thinking, I bet I'm getting a lot of prayers and thoughts regarding this illness. Sure love you guys. Best post this on the other sites I put it. If I miss one and someone asks..please let them know. 😊

Back
Top Bottom