The Old Folks Home

I tended my chickens today. I have a pullet that has been in with her sibling 3 cockerels. Today, I managed to get her separated, and into her own pen. Either tonight, or tomorrow night, I will put her on the roost in the pen with the rest of the pullets. I have a rooster that I want to get his spurs trimmed up, and put in with all the females.

micro -- I hear you and feel your pain. Last year a freak late hard frost decimated our fruit crop. Totally wiped out everything. This year -- after a year off from production -- the orchard's trees are blanketed in copious blossoms. Thought we were going to have snow on Saturday night, but was very thankful it was just cold rain. Tomorrow onward is 70-degree weather. I love going outside and hearing the bees working.

The plus side of last years nada fruit crop: Spent zero time canning and this year don't really have to spray for coddling moth as there was nothing for them to repopulate on.

Our local farmstand was having a tomato start sale last week, but they won't go into the ground until after Tuesday as we've had some chilly weekend nights.

- - -

On a sad note, we helped our beloved greyhound Norman cross over to the Rainbow Bridge late last week. Osteosarcoma. Even with meds, pain and mobility was an issue that wasn't abating and then something happened that caused his other front leg paw to balloon. Rather than have a total tragedy of pain/suffering/fracture, we faced that hard call and had the mobile vet come in and he passed in his slumberball surrounded by his family and canine companions. Been kind of a wreck since then. He was so in-sync to me, almost psychically so. I loved him enough to let him go, but -- dang -- I sure do miss him and wish he were here. (Truth be told, I don't believe I cried near as much when my folks passed. I know one of these days I'll stop crying, but it's definitely not today.)
View attachment 2624878
(Norman's final portrait)
So sorry about his passing. Every dog is so special in their own way.

Good afternoon OF! I was a busy camper this morning.. Mowing the front yard, cleaning pens and hen houses. I have to wait until later this evening before stealing Mara and Margaret from Prince.. Henrietta is back in her old pen, along with Bonnie, her grazing/roosting mate. Gonna give those 4 ladies a rest from breeding. Meanwhile I have one small turn out pen open as KE and Sara decided they liked the smaller square pen better than their round pen. YAY. And since Henrietta and Bonnie are in Henrietta's old pen (it was empty) that frees up the new big round pen for the 2 week olds. Was gonna take the 4 week olds out and put them in the smaller round pen, but it's supposed to be down to 40 tonight, then 44 tomorrow night.
What's with this crazy weather?
Idk, they say it may freeze here two nights in a row! Average last frost Is April 15th.

@CapricornFarm, I just read about your furchild's passing. I am so terribly sorry. I know the pain you are feeling. They are in our lives such a short time but leave pawprints on our hearts forever. :hugs You did the only thing you could do, you gave him the final gift of love and released his sweet soul to run free with grace and dignity.

Good morning all.

I hate this weather!

Before:
IMG_2792.JPG

And after. This is what we woke up to yesterday morning.

IMG_2797.JPG

This morning it was 25°. No hope. I got most of my flowers that were up, lilies, iris, hostas, covered with anything I could find. Cardboard boxes, sheets of plastic drop cloth, etc but the trees? A few apple trees haven't bloomed yet so we may get a few apples if the blooms have survived closed. But they are calling for 27° again tonight and then a warming trend.

Needless to say I'm pretty discouraged at this point in time. So much going on in the world and country right now, I tend to escape it all by enjoying my 'outside' hobbies of gardening and such. Looking forward to the promise of fresh fruit is one of the summer highlights. Luckily I have only a few things planted in the garden so no losses there but the whole region is suffering from this cold right now so we aren't alone.

@CSolis, congratulations on that broody. I know you have been wanting one. Happy Hatching!

Back
Top Bottom