The Old Folks Home

Ron, you need a scoped .22 and some good bait. Put the bait down that is so tempting so scrumptious that they can't pass it up. The rat equivalent of a Dairy Queen hot fudge brownie delight. Then you pick a safe vantage point where a .22 won't go wild, get comfy, site in your scope so you are basically looking into the scope at all times so you don't have to make any sudden movements and when Brer Rat moves in on the rat crack treat BAM! he doesn't know what hits him only since you are using a .22 it's more like a loud POP. A scoped .17 is even more fun. They explode.

Hi everyone. I'm feeling better. We got the path report in on Sid. Definitely Pythiosis. I can't say enough Please be careful with your dogs and where they swim or wade. Dogs are usually resistant to Pythium but if they have a problem with their immune system or an injury where the critters can gain access OR through their mucus membranes then they can become infected. We don't know how Sid became infected but the disease was so advanced that there was no way they could save her. She had everything from peritonitis to masses near her right kidney. If you are curious about this disease and the states it's found in, go to this site:

pythiosis.com

Be better educated than your vet about this because most vets don't know about it.

Getting the report and the memory gift from the MIZZOU veterinary hospital was a form of closure for me. They learned a lot from her and I'm glad that her life and death stood for something. Hopefully cures will progress from what is out there at the moment.
That would be fun!

Sadly I would get into big trouble shooting a gun in the City

No sunshine here. Cloudy with intermittent rain. But good morning old folk and not so old folk.

@ronott1 can you sneak in a pellet gun to use? Back in IL we had a friend who used to snipe squirrels from a third floor window of his house with a BB rifel. He had an English walnut tree in his back yard and would fight the squirrels for possession of the walnuts it produced.

One day the local popo showed up. Frankly they didn't give a you know what but the neighbors were 'nervous' about it so he had to quit. He wasn't to be stopped though. He got a live trap and set it out for them sometimes catching two squirrels or more a day. Then he found out that one of the bank presidents in town loved squirrel meat so he just drove the trap over and bye bye squirrels.

If the neighbor didn't want the meat he would take his .22, drive out to the country and give the squirrel a running start. Did it work? Let's just say he was a good shot. He never made a varmint somebody else's problem.

No sunshine here. Cloudy with intermittent rain. But good morning old folk and not so old folk.

@ronott1 can you sneak in a pellet gun to use? Back in IL we had a friend who used to snipe squirrels from a third floor window of his house with a BB rifel. He had an English walnut tree in his back yard and would fight the squirrels for possession of the walnuts it produced.

One day the local popo showed up. Frankly they didn't give a you know what but the neighbors were 'nervous' about it so he had to quit. He wasn't to be stopped though. He got a live trap and set it out for them sometimes catching two squirrels or more a day. Then he found out that one of the bank presidents in town loved squirrel meat so he just drove the trap over and bye bye squirrels.

If the neighbor didn't want the meat he would take his .22, drive out to the country and give the squirrel a running start. Did it work? Let's just say he was a good shot. He never made a varmint somebody else's problem.
My uncle used to say that pest squirrels go good with potatoes. :D

I think the bank president had a recipe for barbequed squirrel. Our friend's wife was dubious until he sent some of it home with our friend. She said it was delicious. Couldn't tell it was squirrel meat when it was slapped between a bun.

I've never developed a taste for wild squirrel. I always thought it was too gamey tasting. She said some how, maybe by slow cooking it, or by the barbeque sauce he used, she couldn't taste the 'gamey' taste in it.

I got my portal reactivated. Now I can log in, and view all test results, contact the doctor if needed, keep track of appointments, etc.
Those portals are very helpful. Also being able to read the Drs notes and researching some test results.
Have you noticed the phrase ' ground glass appearance' being used allot to describe the lungs since covid? The Dr described my colon that way. Try as I would to Google it, I can't find anywhere that the colon is described as'ground glass appearance' (Crohn's/colitis) we have to find a new treatment plan but I won't talk with him till the biopsies return.

My doctor's practice has one that I was dubious about but learned to love.

When I worked either with my husband or in clinical nursing we hated HIPPA with a passion. True that it protected a patient's privacy which is good but when you have family members that live a thousand miles away and just heard from a sib that their mom had been moved to a nursing home and the family member is in tears wanting to know if 'mom' was alive, how is she doing? is she dying? When you reach that moment in time, you get creative. I would say something about patient's rights but in my next breath say 'but IF your mom was here and IF I could say anything, What I MIGHT say is that she is sucking in air and exhaling it out and in good spirits.

At that point I could hear an audible sigh of relief followed by profound thanks.

There needs to be a happy medium with such things. They do allow family or the patient to designate who can be privy to patient information. I had to do that yesterday at the doctors and have to do it once a year. But with all the hacking going on I can't help but wonder how HIPPA regulations and internet use can be deemed 100% effective and protected.

And a little side note. in 2013, the computer software for running a portal site was between 35,000 and 50,000 dollars. Higher for internal medicine. My doc back in IL told me that on top of paying an exorbitant price for the software, he would have to hire at least three new people to handle the switchover and it would take over a year to set up.

Like us, he had a practice in a small western IL town where generating the patient volume to warrant such a purchase and investment wasn't even worth considering.

We did it the old fashion way....we talked to our patients when they had questions and then we retired.

Back
Top Bottom