The Old Folks Home

I had one come out at just before dusk one afternoon. I was fishing babies out of their pen to lock them up and suddenly one of the hens started giving out that alarm growl that they do. I looked around and here was a female rat that had more than likely gotten into bait I had put out. it was staggering around trying to get to the water holder I had in the chick pen.

I read somewhere that some of the baits make them thirsty Idunno. I had a two foot long board that I had made a roost for the youngsters in the pen so I quickly ended the job the bait had started.

Here, mice start coming out at sunset. If I see any in the run when I close the pop doors up I set my bait holders out overnight. I'm amazed at how much bait disappears in 12 hours. I'm buying a box of Ramik about every 8 weeks here if not sooner. If the population gets out of hand I will see them running around inside the coop in broad daylight. That's when I say YIKES and step up the baiting.

This morning one of our littlest kitties named June Bug came trotting out of the kitchen with a mouse clamped firmly in her mouth. There will be a little extra of her favorite canned food in her bowl tonight.

@lovesfarms I had to stop feeding outside due to that happening. I know they say not to feed inside but the mice here are easier to control if I put the feed in the coop along with the rats that wander in.

Somebody said once that rats and mice are attracted more to a water source than food. I try to remember to dump the outside water bowl at night and refill in the morning. I think it does help.

Good morning, sour. How’s the pup doing?
Rapidly becoming the biggest dog that we have ever had. Took a picture today of her with her front paws on my shoulders and her head at my mid chest. She is a fun dog, and perhaps more interactive with us than any we have had. She's my shadow.

Well ya mine tend to come out at night and now days are long so close at 9 all coops food covered have the rat bucket with the wire and PVC, peanut butter bait no seed ..
Give it a few days in the garden.. This is the pair I go this morning big one if female so may get a handle on them now :confused:
1623539950181.jpeg

Well ya mine tend to come out at night and now days are long so close at 9 all coops food covered have the rat bucket with the wire and PVC, peanut butter bait no seed ..
Give it a few days in the garden.. This is the pair I go this morning big one if female so may get a handle on them now :confused:
View attachment 2715979
Penny how about trapping them live and training them for a rat circus?

Hi all. It's been a while. Still having sad days, but the children have been so wonderful. Thankful for the his, mine, and ours! They have surrounded me with love and help. Thankful for them. I'm not alone, thank the Heavens. Our son and wife..and cute little two year old is living here. I think I shared that a while back. I'm going to go back a bit and check posts..two pages I think. 😊

View attachment 2715979
Wow! That's a big one!!

Hi all. It's been a while. Still having sad days, but the children have been so wonderful. Thankful for the his, mine, and ours! They have surrounded me with love and help. Thankful for them. I'm not alone, thank the Heavens. Our son and wife..and cute little two year old is living here. I think I shared that a while back. I'm going to go back a bit and check posts..two pages I think. 😊
Hi Cynthia. Good to see you back. It takes a while.

Back
Top Bottom