The Old Folks Home

8.2 earthquake in southern Alaska last evening. Here is hoping that @Alaskan and his clan are all safe. There was talk about people evacuating an island in the Kenai peninsula but I'm not exactly sure where he lives.

We have been to the timber already trying to beat the heat and failing. Talk is that it will reach 94 degrees here today but hopefully rain the next couple of days will settle down the heat.

Here are pictures that I took this morning of the tree we dropped yesterday.

IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG

If you look real close in the above picture you can see my DH in the upper center for size reference.
IMG_2876.JPG

We cut out the center of the trunk in order to clear the path. DH stepped it out this morning and it was 81 feet long with a twenty inch diameter. @bruceha2000 he wants to know if that is the largest trees you have on your property. He says we use that size to brace up our big logs. :gigJust jerking your chain a bit, Bruce. But seriously, we only harvest 8-10 inch diameter trees to clear out an area to drop larger trees. We would be working our butts off if we only had immature logs to harvest. We only harvest biomass trees like the one in the picture. If we have to drop smaller living trees to make a clearing to drop a big dead standing tree we harvest it. Nothing goes to waste but we hardly ever harvest anything under 10 inches.

We have such a dense timber in places that the forester told us to thin out the hickory so there is only one tree standing in a 20 foot area. But in the past 7 years we have not cut down a living old growth tree. Mother nature has given us enough dead standing trees thanks to oak wilt to heat our home with their biomass.

Everyone stay cool and safe today.

Something really good for anything to do with skin sores, is Silvadene. Tell the doctor you want a prescription for the larger jar size, not the little tubes.

Tomorrow, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, at the end of the day my daughter will be finished with her clinicals. That means she's finished her CMA course, passed her National and State tests, and once her clinicals are done, her certifications/licenses will be sent. In the meantime, they want to hire her as soon as they can. That's when the real training begins. Fortunately, she's got the opportunity to get some of the best training, and wil train with a top notch team.

I got the chicken chores done (except collecting the eggs), and the duck house cleaned, before the rain set in. From the looks of it, it's about to downpour here for awhile. I can collect the eggs at a later time, when the weather breaks.

We have no rain in 45 days .. like a Arizona dust bowl here.
Well it's certainly crazy and getting crazier by the year.
raintotals.png

We are on track to surpass 2019 totals and it's only July. Last year just over 6' of rain. Still think the weather is being manipulated. Heavy flooding all over the globe now. Is it time for another ark?

Back
Top Bottom