The Old Folks Home

8.2 earthquake in southern Alaska last evening. Here is hoping that @Alaskan and his clan are all safe. There was talk about people evacuating an island in the Kenai peninsula but I'm not exactly sure where he lives.
i am up high, 1,300 feet, but on the coast.... well... 10 to 15 minute drive.

Our air siren was wailing every 20 minutes or so for HOURS. from 10 pm to about 1 am (or maybe midnight :idunno )

Anyway... so.... we were close enough that we got the warning, but really not all that close.... we didn't get a tsunami.

The earthquake was a good one, nice soft rolls, no jolts.

Jolts make things fall over...rolls are fine.

My 2 eldest were still in town at work... and nope, they did NOT get off early. They both work at places above the potential high water/tsunami line.

i am up high, 1,300 feet, but on the coast.... well... 10 to 15 minute drive.

Our air siren was wailing every 20 minutes or so for HOURS. from 10 pm to about 1 am (or maybe midnight :idunno )

Anyway... so.... we were close enough that we got the warning, but really not all that close.... we didn't get a tsunami.

The earthquake was a good one, nice soft rolls, no jolts.

Jolts make things fall over...rolls are fine.

My 2 eldest were still in town at work... and nope, they did NOT get off early. They both work at places above the potential high water/tsunami line.
at least you guys are safe,

Was talking to my neices and nephews awhile back, here we have hurricanes, other places haves fires, earthquakes, torando's and hurricanes, you have to be ready for it, may or may not happen but it can, they were like, well if we need food and such we go to the store, I shook my head and looked at them, no power, no power no atm, no gas, no store, think about it, we were blessed here when Irma came thru, no major damage, last one about a month back back barely any wind, rain not to bad.

at least you guys are safe,
Yep...

And I should have been more clear.... sounds like those close to the epicenter were fine too.

I am guessing because the earthquake was such a soft rolling one. Long... and strong, but soft rolls.

The jerky ones I think cause more damage.

But there is so much remote area over there where the epicenter was... maybe why they just sent the warning all over, just to be safe.

I kept trying to find a link to one of the towns that was supposed to get hit first... to see if they got anything... but I couldn't figure out how to find anything except the big national tsunami center.

Normally, just before hurricane season, all the local newscasters advise people to get stocked up on supplies for hurricane season. Most of them tell you to go to their website for a checklist of supplies to keep on hand. The grocery stores too, tend to have hurricane supply checklists too. The checklist not only tells you what you will need, but how much you will need.

Of course, many of us are wise enough to rotate our supplies, and keep stocked up year round. Usually, when they first announce a hurricane they think is headed our way, IF there is something you need to restock, that's the time to get it. Too many wait until a day or two before they're certain it's going to hit. By then, it's chaos in the grocery stores. No water, bread, soups, canned foods (tuna, hams, spam, Dinty Moore beef stew, corned beef hash, spaghetti-Os etc.), pop tarts, peanut butter, jellies, jams, milk, or batteries are left. The shelves are bare. There can be short lines at the gas stations too. It's much better, and easier to stay prepared. BTW, even without power, I don't do pop tarts, or spaghetti Os. Gag.

Many complain about the added expense, not being in their food budget. This is why it's better to get items that you can work into your meal planning, and replace them as you use them. Take advantage of sales on candles, batteries, etc. I get the Aim N Flame type lighters once in awhile at the dollar store. That way the expense is absorbed over time, instead of being a hard jolt to the budget. Aldi, and Save-A-Lot are great places to get some of your canned goods at a decent price too. It's not overly difficult to stay prepared for when disaster strikes, and not just in hurricane prone areas.

My mother knew the drill. When my parents moved to KY, my mother just kept doing like she always had here. The year the ice storms hit, all the power was out, trees had fallen everywhere, so the roads were blocked. Even FEMA couldn't get the Interstate cleared for days, to bring in crews to further clear the roads, get power restored, and get supplies distributed where needed. It took over 2 weeks for them to reach some places. My parents did just fine. Plenty of water, food, and all the needed supplies.

Hmmm. Just thinking of all the dried beans I have in the basement. They take a while to cook, and if the power is off, they are not a good "cook with generator power" item on our electric stove. Though the Instant Pot might be a possibility...

So I just looked up pressure canning dried beans. I might do some pints this fall.

Like some of the other OF here, I like having "food security," as they call it nowadays. I told DH we could eat for a few weeks with what we have. It might be boring, but a full belly can be a wonderful thing.

Glad you are all safe, @Alaskan. Here we worry about the New Madrid fault. Back in central Illinois there was a quake in the late 60s. Felt like something was kicking the house and when we looked out the power poles going down the road were bobbing up and down. Twenty years later I was on the step ladder putting a ceiling fan in for my parents when it felt like something was kicking the ladder. I remembered the quake of the late 60s and got off that ladder fast. Yep, NM was flexing again.

The big quakes of the early 1800s that happened on the Madrid fault were amazing. If anybody is into reading about such things I highly recommend some google searching. The quakes were so powerful that church bells rang in New York and Washington DC.

We live 8+miles from town and 3 miles from black topped roads. Being prepared is as natural for us as breathing..Floods and tornadoes in the summer, ice storms and snow storms in the winter. It's the midwest. Don't like the weather? Hang around for a couple of hours and it will change.

Speaking of change 94 degrees here today with heat index of 116. We worked in the timber for about an hour but it was so miserable that we couldn't stand it and headed for the house. We were both overheated and barely ate lunch then sofa time. I think I slept for over 2 hours. Then some nice storms rolled in and with it the temp dropped. Relief. I think the hot weather is over for awhile. More seasonable late summer weather in the offing which is fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom