The Old Folks Home

Exactly..”classical” to us used to be the popular music of the day..all you need to know about it is whether you like a certain piece, or don’t!
True!

I did learn a lot about how to listen to music when I played. There were a lot of things I "thought I didn't like very much," until we played them and I heard "what was going on in the cello," for example. (Can't think of this piece... Wagner? overture...?)

I remember something I read, written by a bassist. Their conductor was so poor, they gave him the nickname, Diode. He explained that a diode was a semi-conductor. :lau

This one?
Makes me cry..my first record..yep..that’s possibly the greatest French horn playing of all time! Edit..thanks for posting..I have tears listening..I got to play the Second concerto with both orchestras..and the first..I stayed away from the ones with difficult cadenzas. I did get to play perhaps the most difficult of solos, or ensembles really, the Concertstucke or concert piece by Robert Schumann for four horns and orchestra in both my groups as well. The Berlin and Chicago recordings are the standard, although me and my section’s Saturday night live performance was awfully good..I usually only listen to myself if I’ve had a few drinks..! I also got to play Strauss first concerto twice..

Last edited:
Finally. Split the last piece of wood today. We figure that we have 12+ cords plus 1 cord of keeper rounds. I don't know how we got so much wood this year. It was there so we just kept chain sawing it up and hauling it back to the house.

As the saying goes as far as how we feel. What don't hurt, don't work.

View attachment 2785953

The bags and buckets sitting in front are filled with kindling.

It's in the high 70s here today but I can almost taste that first cup of morning coffee sitting in front of the fireplace with DH....not anxious for winter but it is a nice way to start the morning.
Now who's the Rock Star? Hummmmmmmm?

Exactly..”classical” to us used to be the popular music of the day..all you need to know about it is whether you like a certain piece, or don’t!
My DD used to love Beethoven as a child. I got her a CD to listen too at night. Some say classical music increases intelligence. Must expand the brain cells while tracking the music.
She sure turned out to be smart.

True!

I did learn a lot about how to listen to music when I played. There were a lot of things I "thought I didn't like very much," until we played them and I heard "what was going on in the cello," for example. (Can't think of this piece... Wagner? overture...?)

I remember something I read, written by a bassist. Their conductor was so poor, they gave him the nickname, Diode. He explained that a diode was a semi-conductor. :lau
Yes..no matter how many times I played a famous piece like Beethoven Five, you’d hear stuff that was totally new..or getting to hear awesome violin and piano soloists..I’d cry often onstage..best seat in the house!

My DD used to love Beethoven as a child. I got her a CD to listen too at night. Some say classical music increases intelligence. Must expand the brain cells while tracking the music.
She sure turned out to be smart.
Van Cliburn, Chicago sym recording of Beethoven Emperor concerto..the slow mvt when the flutes come back in with the wistful B theme..kills me every time. Total fave piece..although, one of Van Cliburns’ last performances was with my orchestra, and he was completely past it all, losing it, bombing the performance, ..I just sobbed onstage feeling so badly for him.

My favorite thing I ever bought was my little red enameled cast iron gas fireplace, sealed with quartz glass....I run it every single day in the winter..fall and spring a lot too! in a cold climate, you just can’t beat a fireplace for getting, and staying warm and comfortable!
You can't beat wood heat. I don't think I could tolerate LP or natural gas heat again. My joints love the steady warmth that only a fireplace can provide. I guess gas would do it but you would have to stand over the register all the time. Ask me how I know that!

@bruceha2000, ahhh yes, the jab yourself with toxin treatment. I still shudder when I think of methotrexate. I'm due for my next Prolia shot next month and my Dexa Scan next week. I keep telling myself if my DS is good they might lighten up on the Prolia but I'm not all that anxious to go into the local hospital right now. Calling them and asking them what they are doing to keep unvaccinated people safe is on my to do list for tomorrow. If I have to I will postpone the Dexa till next month and then the Prolia for October.

But once every two weeks is much better than twice a week. Please give her my best and hugs that she handles the shot well.

True!

A HAM radio joke! I love it! :lau

You can't beat wood heat. I don't think I could tolerate LP or natural gas heat again. My joints love the steady warmth that only a fireplace can provide. I guess gas would do it but you would have to stand over the register all the time. Ask me how I know that!

@bruceha2000, ahhh yes, the jab yourself with toxin treatment. I still shudder when I think of methotrexate. I'm due for my next Prolia shot next month and my Dexa Scan next week. I keep telling myself if my DS is good they might lighten up on the Prolia but I'm not all that anxious to go into the local hospital right now. Calling them and asking them what they are doing to keep unvaccinated people safe is on my to do list for tomorrow. If I have to I will postpone the Dexa till next month and then the Prolia for October.

But once every two weeks is much better than twice a week. Please give her my best and hugs that she handles the shot well.
I had more than five big sinus surgeries including a full frontal obliteration and fat packing, and three neck surgeries, two in front, an artificial disc, fusion, then a posterior fusion to fuse all of it..turned out the hardware helped the nerves function to my arms properly, but I was left with intractable neck pain despite muscle relaxants, oxycodone and morphine every day! It’s a delicate balance between all that and French press coffee…

Back
Top Bottom