The Oldest chicken” contest

20180518_192003.jpg
9 year old Ancona hen. She doesn't lay eggs anymore, but is still very active and curious. No different than when she was 6 months old.
It's sometimes shocking to me to think in a few months she'll have spent a decade with me, that's longer than most the animals on my farm.

View attachment 26665359 year old Ancona hen. She doesn't lay eggs anymore, but is still very active and curious. No different than when she was 6 months old.
It's sometimes shocking to me to think in a few months she'll have spent a decade with me, that's longer than most the animals on my farm.
She looks really young! Its amazing how long chickens can live, shes beautiful :)

I'll match you. I wrote this on my blog in May 2012. And these two have been my avatar here.
"In a perfect world all seven of the new chicks would be hens, I fear two are Lola posers".

Turns out only one was and Peanut turned out to be the best rooster on earth. Tiny, just one hand high. We grieved mightily when he passed and buried him lovingly under the special yellow rose bush.

Only one of that batch left, Sugar Bear, a Belgian d'Uccle banty. Nine years old, ancient by chicken standards. When the new girls (Easter Eggers) were introduced last year, she was henpecked to the point she wouldn't even go back in the pen at night. So we made a princess house for her in the other half of the coop building and there she has reigned. She expects to be lifted down in the morning, and she chooses to spend her days in the goat paddock, hopping through the fence to get there. But at coop time she runs back and forth in front of the gate, waiting for one of us to come open it so she can get home for her dried mealyworms. Perfect World. Sharyn

I'll match you. I wrote this on my blog in May 2012. And these two have been my avatar here.
"In a perfect world all seven of the new chicks would be hens, I fear two are Lola posers".

Turns out only one was and Peanut turned out to be the best rooster on earth. Tiny, just one hand high. We grieved mightily when he passed and buried him lovingly under the special yellow rose bush.

Only one of that batch left, Sugar Bear, a Belgian d'Uccle banty. Nine years old, ancient by chicken standards. When the new girls (Easter Eggers) were introduced last year, she was henpecked to the point she wouldn't even go back in the pen at night. So we made a princess house for her in the other half of the coop building and there she has reigned. She expects to be lifted down in the morning, and she chooses to spend her days in the goat paddock, hopping through the fence to get there. But at coop time she runs back and forth in front of the gate, waiting for one of us to come open it so she can get home for her dried mealyworms. Perfect World. Sharyn
Awe, thats so sweet! :D

I have one that I believe is 8 or older
she still goes broody, she is a good mama.
She's the Wyandotte.
I also have one that is 7 who spends her day jumping over the fence and teasing the dog! :idunno

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 2
I have one that I believe is 8 or older
she still goes broody, she is a good mama.
She's the Wyandotte.
I also have one that is 7 who spends her day jumping over the fence and teasing the dog! :idunno
That is so cute- the baby chick on her oh my goodness!

Back
Top Bottom