The Olive-Egger thread!

Momma Honey showing babies Pez and Ghost outside for the first time

Just curious what do you think my percentage of olive or blue eggers here.....I have a mixed flock and just realized today I could hatch some olive egger hens from my chicks. Making me want to keep all the chicks LOL

Roos are a Salmon fave(sold 10 days ago but some of my about to hatch eggs are possibly his), a Tolbunt Polish Frizzle(also penned 10 days ago), Cream Legbar, Blue Copper Maran....

Hens are 4 CM(1 blue 3 splash), 3 cream legbar(just started laying I've collected 3 eggs this week), 5 LF Blue Cochin, 2 Polish(a Red and a Paint).....so my question is which pairings would make Blue/Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers? I know the Maran x Cream Legbars will but what about like Cream Legbar x LF Cochin(would that give any blue egg layers?) and I read hens get the egg color gene from the Roo does that mean female chicks sired by the non blue egg Roos won't lay any bluish eggs?

I've got about 30-40 CM eggs set, just finished the pen inside my 40 by 30 foot barn to separate the 5 CM from the Legbars and Cochins.

Oh and if I do keep the chicks soon to be hatched(and then wait for them to lay to see if they lay blue or olive), would it be better to put them back with the Cream Legbar Roo or the Blue Copper Maran Roo to get more Olive Eggers?

Oh and if I do keep the chicks soon to be hatched(and then wait for them to lay to see if they lay blue or olive), would it be better to put them back with the Cream Legbar Roo or the Blue Copper Maran Roo to get more Olive Eggers?
Marans @southernhusky is the plural or single it is french little fyi them to any ee will give oe

Just curious what do you think my percentage of olive or blue eggers here.....I have a mixed flock and just realized today I could hatch some olive egger hens from my chicks. Making me want to keep all the chicks LOL

Roos are a Salmon fave(sold 10 days ago but some of my about to hatch eggs are possibly his), a Tolbunt Polish Frizzle(also penned 10 days ago), Cream Legbar, Blue Copper Maran....

Hens are 4 CM(1 blue 3 splash), 3 cream legbar(just started laying I've collected 3 eggs this week), 5 LF Blue Cochin, 2 Polish(a Red and a Paint).....so my question is which pairings would make Blue/Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers? I know the Maran x Cream Legbars will but what about like Cream Legbar x LF Cochin(would that give any blue egg layers?) and I read hens get the egg color gene from the Roo does that mean female chicks sired by the non blue egg Roos won't lay any bluish eggs?

I've got about 30-40 CM eggs set, just finished the pen inside my 40 by 30 foot barn to separate the 5 CM from the Legbars and Cochins.

Marans x Cream Legbar = olive eggs
Salmon Fav x Cream Legbar = blue-green eggs
Polish x Cream Legbar = light blue
Polish x Marans = brown
Polish x Salmon Fav = pink
Olive egger x Marans = half lay dark brown and half lay darker olive

There is a range of variations from each combination. Depending on the several genes that are involved in egg color, there is always a chance for a white or brown egg layer with these mixes, but chances are low. There are 13 known genes that determine the shade of brown that different breeds lay.

Good luck on your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom