The Olive-Egger thread!

I did the same thing when I when I went to pick up some hens! I heard myself say "ohh what are those!?" That how I ended up with two Wheaten Americaunas.

LOL...well, they were pretty right??? How could we help but get some?? It's not our fault ;). On the way home from getting the eggs...my husband said, "I'm glad I made that coop as big as I did, and I'll go ahead and extend both runs to 20 feet." LOL!!! He is a good sport about it all.

Everyone please meet "Early" the Olive Egger who hatched yesterday "early" on day 19!
IMG_3521.JPG

LOL...well, they were pretty right??? How could we help but get some?? It's not our fault ;). On the way home from getting the eggs...my husband said, "I'm glad I made that coop as big as I did, and I'll go ahead and extend both runs to 20 feet." LOL!!! He is a good sport about it all.
There was recently a FB post about our local Humane Society asking for people to consider adopting farm animals they have. Someone tagged me in it and before I even saw it my poor BF responded, "Don't encourage her." Ha Ha Ha! He's afraid we'll be over run.:lau

There was recently a FB post about our local Humane Society asking for people to consider adopting farm animals they have. Someone tagged me in it and before I even saw it my poor BF responded, "Don't encourage her." Ha Ha Ha! He's afraid we'll be over run.:lau

Yeah...it is not a good idea for me to go to the Humane Society...I'll come home with all of them!!! We are thinking about getting some goats for milk to make cheese and soap next year...so, I'll look there first...on second thought...I better just call and ask if they have some...looking at pictures will get me into trouble too!!!

I have a red crested pullet (Crested Cream Legbar over Rhode Island Red hen) she just laid her first egg which is very pale olive net to the Ameraucana, True Blue Whiting, and Cream Crested Legbar eggs. I've been told the she would not be considered an olive egger. Is this true? If I breed her to my my FBCMarans roo, would those chicks not be olive eggers? I am about to separate my flock so that I don't have any mixes that are not deliberate!

I have a red crested pullet (Crested Cream Legbar over Rhode Island Red hen) she just laid her first egg which is very pale olive net to the Ameraucana, True Blue Whiting, and Cream Crested Legbar eggs. I've been told the she would not be considered an olive egger. Is this true? If I breed her to my my FBCMarans roo, would those chicks not be olive eggers? I am about to separate my flock so that I don't have any mixes that are not deliberate!
Weeelll.... depends on the darkness of the green egg, and that is highly subjective...but 'pale olive' is often just 'green'.
Most OE are blue egg layer x dark brown layer...of which the RIR would really fit into.
The term 'red crested' is a rather subjective also.
Crossing back to a BCM might make the eggs a darker green, if the blue egg gene passes with the cross.

Hey all,
Q,. If I have an EE hen and breed w a welsummer roo, will that create an olive egger?

I find it unclear if the roo or the hen brings the blue Gene to the mix or does it come from both , meaning, if I have a male EE and a female brown egg layer, will they make an olive egger too?

I hope I have wrote my question clear cause it makes my head fuzzy trying to keep it clear. Lol
Tks

Weeelll.... depends on the darkness of the green egg, and that is highly subjective...but 'pale olive' is often just 'green'.
Most OE are blue egg layer x dark brown layer...of which the RIR would really fit into.
The term 'red crested' is a rather subjective also.
Crossing back to a BCM might make the eggs a darker green, if the blue egg gene passes with the cross.
I describe her as red crested because she has the legbar crest from my legbar and the only hen I have with that coloring is my Rhode Island Red. What do you think???
Carrot rop.JPG

Back
Top Bottom