The Olive-Egger thread!

Yes good points… I’m sort of stuck on projects… a raccoon devastated my flock, he is dead now, we still have no idea how he got into the coop… we could not find his entry point.

He killed my only rooster. So no breeding experiments for me.

I do however have surviving brown and green egg laying hens.

So I am going to go over flock goals and go from there.

Don’t know if anyone is still posting here. I’m only on page 17. 😂 I bought an olive egger from Ideal. She has no muddy or beard, but barely a hint of waddles. She has what looks like a modified pea comb, but bright orange legs (not greenish or grey). Guesses on whether she’ll lay green? She’s about 20 weeks so hopefully I’ll know in the next month or so…Here’s a closeup of her comb. By her patterning she looks to be part Welsummer…it would be amazing if she lays green speckled! Fingers crossed…
1668103059921.jpeg

Don’t know if anyone is still posting here. I’m only on page 17. 😂 I bought an olive egger from Ideal. She has no muddy or beard, but barely a hint of waddles. She has what looks like a modified pea comb, but bright orange legs (not greenish or grey). Guesses on whether she’ll lay green? She’s about 20 weeks so hopefully I’ll know in the next month or so…Here’s a closeup of her comb. By her patterning she looks to be part Welsummer…it would be amazing if she lays green speckled! Fingers crossed…
View attachment 3318412
What was the outcome?

Thanks for the reminder! She lays a shiny olive egg! Occasionally speckled but usually just super shiny!

Oddly enough, my Easter Egger lays a green egg also. Hers is a light olive, more dull with dryer texture. Good that I can tell them apart!

Pic below:
Back egg is my olive egger. Front egg is my Easter Egger. Blue egg is my McMurray “Americana”. 😊

1675303041936.jpeg

My olive egger laid her first egg today (at 23 1/2 weeks old) and it is gloriously olive. Yay!! Her first egg is a decent size at 22oz and looks army green in person. (Looks a bit more bronze in the pictures.)

Her parents were a BCM X CCL. The CCL lays a really green egg, and the roo was from a good dark line.

IMG_20230301_144257998~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_150137540~2.jpg

Mom's green egg is behind the olive one.
IMG_20230301_144352127_HDR~2.jpg

The mom's egg seems to have a green bloom to it (see the drop below), but she is a CCL from a reputable seller so I don't doubt her heritage.
IMG_20221024_161335708~2.jpg

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the results of the cross and can't wait to sample the egg!
Link to the cross "is it a hen or roo" history post https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/future-hens-or-roos-fbcm-x-ccl.1553319/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom