The Pecking Order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Col1948, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Lots of great comments here! :highfive:
    Im following and learning.. thank you all! :love

2. I don't doubt you, but I don't think that we know the half of it.

IMHO, the key to understanding chickens is to forget everything that you know about humans, because little of it applies to chickens.

3. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I'll have a look for another paper later that has some interesting results on brian activity using a new thermal imaging process. My neice who was involved in the project sent it to me. I'm way behind on the science now...:(

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.
  4. Fields Mountain Farm

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
  5. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    I think one of my troubles is, I bought the chickens off a Chinese man, so when I talk to them they don't understand me.

I had a bit of trouble tonight, the 3 originals were on the roost, all spread apart, so the 2 new girls wouldn't roost because it meant going in between them.
    I had to go in and pick the originals up and replace them closer together, then I got the 2 new girls and placed them together further away hoping to avoid any conflict.

6. Fields Mountain Farm

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Those lil buggers think they have the roost all to themselves by spreading out...:lau
    Hopefully you showed them it won't work.. at least for tonight! :fl

Chickassan and Col1948 like this.
  7. :oops:
    :lau
    ;)

I once had the same problem. Only I purchased my chickens from a man living in Kent and they couldn't understand American English. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: