The pen to end all (my) pens

Be interested to know how much all those materials cost. You're doing a bang up job, though. Your chickens are going to love their new place. Keep up the good work.

Are you putting in a diagonal brace on the door....

i havent decided. i calculated my materials to account for one, also i could put gussets in the top and bottom corners. at the moment the doors seem very strong as is. i may add them strictly for overkill and looks.

Quote:
Once we finish we will likely figure it up and publish a cost. im posting as much of a detailed material list as i can so everyone knows exactly what it takes.

Thanks for the comments. im very interested in what everyone thinks of it, and any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
09/17/2014: not a big update.

Aviary netting and 16lbs of hardware came in all 1/2"

09/20/2014 - 09/21/2014: Working on the fence and underground predator protection

Well, heres my weekend update for everyone. We did alot of work this weekend on the area the pen will be going into. its a 25ft X 31ft area that is branched off our dog pen behind our existing chicken pens.

4x4x12's buried 2ft in the ground and set in concrete on both corners. We will have flood lamps on both poles for feeding at night.

first i found 1 praying mantice

then i found a 2nd.

this is the alpha rooster. a black sex link.

My mom got a pic of me working, figured id post it. Without that tiller i wouldnt be burying those bricks. It made it a piece of cake.

a barred rock hen, and my BSL rooster digging around the fresh dirt

my 3 dogs inspecting there new area to roam.

10/11/2014: progress

Sorry for the delay in updates. i got sick the last week of September and i had alot of planned events going on. I finnaly had time to work on the pen. I have finished the first panel. Which im hoping all the rest to follow wont take nearly as long because it was a learning curve to figure it out.

The hooks on the top are spaced every 2 feet to retain the aviary netting. I understand that a 2 ft gap between retaining rings is enough for predators to get through. But there will be a hot wire ran around the top of the pen and unless a predator fell out of one of the 75ft tall pines behind the dog area onto the top of the chicken pen. then theres no way an animal will make it into the dog cage and survive.

Back
Top Bottom