The perfect apple pie

percyj

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
So, long story short...
We have around ten apples that we need to get rid of. We have baking powder,but not soda, and no Crisco or crea
Of tartar. Any easy recipes? Thanks.

Do you have any bisquick? They have these "impossible" pie recipes, and they sort of make their own crust! They're just awesome. I just made an impossible pumpkin pie and it was awesome! I don't know the recipes off hand, but you could google it....

Or how about a nice apple crisp? Do you have some brown sugar and rolled oats and butter?

No, no bisquick. Besides bread, I don't usually bake, so I don't have any decent bakers supplies. It's kind of sad now that I think about it.
Yes, I have rolled oats. What's the recipe for apple crisps?

This is the recipe I use for Apple Crisp....You could just cook the apples down with 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, the spices, some lemon juice and butter. After it's cooked down thicken the broth with a little flour and water. Put it in a casserole dish and cover with the crisp and bake it.

Apple Crisp

2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 apples chopped with the peel left on
2 tablespoons lemon juice
42 Ritz crackers, coarsely broken

In a sauce pan, combine first 6 ingredients. Over high heat bring mixture to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Remove form heat and add lemon juice. Break crackers into casserole dish and pour syrup and apples over crackers, stir gently to distribute apples evenly. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or until syrup has thickened.

While syrup is simmering put crisp topping together.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
Combine the ingredients and stir well. Crumble evenly over the pie filling.
Bake 350* for 40 minutes.

AppleCrisp001.jpg

AppleCrisp003.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Brown sugar, butter, rolled oats, flour, cinnamon. Mix that up and put it over the apples and bake. I don't have the exact recipe, but you could google "apple crisp" and you will surely find a recipe.

It's very easy.

Thanks all! The apple crisp is baking right now. I'll see if I can post pics when it comes out

You don't use baking powder, baking soda, or cream of tarter in apple pie. I've never used Crisco in apple pie.

Crust is flour, butter or margarine, and a few drops of water. Pie crust is something where it is all about technique. If you don't cook, a crisp is probably a lot easier than making pie crust.

Apple Betty

4 cups sliced pared tart apples
1/4 cup orange juice, or 1 T lemon juice plus 1 t sugar

1 cup sugar
3/4 Cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 Cup butter

Toss the apples with the orange juice and mound in a 9 inch pie plate

Combine flour , sugar, and spices. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, sprinkle over the apples.

Bake 375 for 45 minutes until the apples are tender and the topping is crisp.

Cooks notes: this is for tart apples. If the apples are sweeter, cut back on the sugar in the topping. I fill a large baking pan with apples and still use the same amount of topping. Topping comes out a lot thinner, and it is still really good. I'm usually trying to use as many apples as possible. The orange juice or lemon juice aren't strictly necessary, if you don't have any. I've made it without and it still gives a good dessert.

Back
Top Bottom