the personality of a chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by imcoryy, Jan 28, 2015.

1. imcoryy

imcoryy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    so i just made a different thread an got a lot of helpful information so thank guys, if you saw my previous thread i promise to reply to you sometime today just give me a second to finish my anatomy and physiology stuff.

anywho im making a new thread because someone said Rhode island reds can be kind of mean. so my question to everyone is whats a good egg layer that is friendly? if i could get an egg a day that would be awesome but i want to play with the chickens too (ie i wish to pet them), maybe if they greeted me thatd be kind of nice. if anyone is familiar with cockatoos i use to have one, if theirs a chicken with that type of personality that would awesome.

once again thank you in advance ill attend to both threads momentarily

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I've enjoyed my Wyandottes' personalities. I've found mine to be inquisitive, gentle to humans, and generally docile around other birds. Mine have been very good layers, laying over 250 eggs each, per year.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Like Wyandottes7, I would definitely recommend the Wyandotte. My Wyandottes have been people-friendly and have also been productive, hardy egg layers.

Other docile breeds/mixes that lay well include Australorps, Orpingtons, Red Sex-links, Black Sex-links, and Easter Eggers. I would recommend checking out the reviews on those breeds (and others) in the Breeds section of the forums: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

4. imcoryy

Jan 25, 2015
    thats a lot of eggs!! im assuming thats the bird in your avatar? if so its a pretty bird!

5. imcoryy

Jan 25, 2015
    they have hen reviews? ooohh ill check that out

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. imcoryy

Jan 25, 2015
    also i live in fl so would i have to worry about the birds getting to hot in the summer months? i did check out teh hen reviews and i find that if i put "hot" as a search restriction im very limited to what chickens withstand the heat. also when it gets into the winter months while not cold for me at 60 degress it can drop into the 40s at night. will my chickens be okay in the coop? or should i bring them n the house?

8. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Try typing in "heat tolerant breeds" and yes, they will be fine out in the coop during winter. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Based on your criteria, I would recommend Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Austrlorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by