the problem with free chickens....

jennhartv

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
The problem with free chickens is when you adopt these critters into your flock, you have no idea what you have! I have two that are about a month old i need help with identifying the breeds. Thanks in advance!!
Chicken #1

Chicken #2

Here is another picture of both

Aaaaannnndddd...... If you want a tougher challenge, name this chick (because i can't) 1 week old:

First let me give you a FREE
welcome-byc.gif

And now my free advice. When you get stray chickens, you are likely to get MUTTS. And there is nothing wrong with mutts. That is unless you need show quality because you intend to enter shows with them.. Enjoy them. Most of my chickens are mutts, because I got them ( budget priced ) They are just great . I took a DNA test myself and found out that I'm a MUTT also. I have everything in me.
lau.gif
... Would you reject me on those grounds. ????
gig.gif
To me your chickens look like gallus domesticus. but I'm sure other peeps can narrow it down some.

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Well, the nice thing is that i know they aren't mutts. They came from our local farm supply store. Long story short, my friends husband bought her these for her birthday (without asking). Well.... Now they're mine :D
I was able to identify all but these two.
Thank you so much for trying though!! Personally, i prefer mutts :)

Last edited:
I thought that for a minute too, since i have a few silver laced, but this one has a black head, and red on the body. The wyndotts usually have the lighter head and darker body. On a side note... I think these are two different breeds (emphasis on think) because as chicks they looked VERY different from one another.
I dont know.... Maybe I will just wait till they grow all the way up :)
Heres more pictures for fun:

Oh, I'm definately keeping these babies :) I love them to death. I am really just curious ;)

Back
Top Bottom