The quietest ducks

D4551C2F-C84E-4E01-8BF6-93013B606546.jpeg
Sorry he looks so ratty he needs to get his molt on. lol

All ducks are ducks. Males are drakes and females ducks.
I've had a few different duck breeds myself. I started with Domestic ducks, crested, Welsh harlequin, Khaki Campbell and magpies. I've only had one or two of most of these breeds. Out of all of these breeds I've only had one drake, a Khaki Campbell, he was also the only Khaki Campbell I've ever had.
This is from memory as I haven't had any of these breeds in years.
I remember the magpies being quite noisy when I got close to them. The crested and the Welsh harlequin weren't quite as noisy as the magpies.

The khaki Campbell drake was way more recent than the other breeds mentioned earlier.
The Khaki Campbell drake I had, had a deep quack. Not very loud unless he was 'talking' to the ducks. He would quack back at me when I called 'duckduck'. It was like marco polo, it was great for finding him and usually the ducks too.

The Khaki Campbell drake came with a huge muscovy drake I named Burt. Burt was going to be a Thanksgiving turducken if he was not bought that day. Male muscovies hiss and females make more of a peeping sound. Put that into consideration. I prefer the look of muscovies over the more Domestic breeds. Muscovies are the only breed I have now.

One constant through all of the ducks is that females are usually louder than the males. They like Starting quacking wars at each other. Other than Burt who hissed over anything, someone talking to him, food and getting angry with the rooster for being to close to him, most of my muscovies have been pretty quiet.

Muscovies are slightly harder to maintain than Domestic ducks. They can fly quite well, though that has never been a problem for me, they are big, males get up to almost 20 pounds and females around 10, the ducks love to hide eggs and set on them and are aggressive mama's.
I'm not a professional breeder of muscovies so I not 100% sure on color names.
Here are my youngest muscovies. A Chocolate pied and a lavender pied.
Photo Editor-20181015_115128.jpg
The 4 adult muscovies that I currently have. One black duck, one double pied lavender duck (the one second from my hand. She has one lavender spot on her head), one white? Black? Pied duck(she's molting) and a chocolate pied drake under the chair.
Photo Editor-20181023_143649.jpg

1522842-fa27221c3dacf2c9738c49d40e5453cb.jpg

Here's a better picture of the chocolate drake.
Photo Editor-20181023_144250.jpg

The black and white pied duck was with my Khaki Campbell drake before he died, that's why I recently bought the other muscovies.
1516960-f259244d7a1173a460228469c0513bc1.jpg

I can't find a picture of Khaki Campbell drake at the moment.
This is an older picture of Burt.
1517201-946fb5b42253aebcb764a09345411b6c.jpg

And one from a about a year before he passed.
1517259-11cb4526855cdc8d14b804876f8ccae0.jpg

This drake is a mix between a muscovy and and the Khaki Campbell drake.
received_1991779477573476.jpeg

No duck breed I've ever had has ever really been louder than a rooster crowing or a hens egg song, so it's really up to you to figure out what breed fits your needs. Both aesthetically and physically.

Meaning what breed or breeds of duck looks the best to you? Can you handle the large moscovy? Or the need of pools for any breed of duck? None of my current muscovies enjoy high flying, but I have had a few who did, though it wasn't a problem for me for them to take a flight around the yard. If you can't, or worry about the dangers of flight, let them fly are you willing to do regular flight feather trimming?

Letting male ducks of any breed around chickens can be a problem. My drakes have never liked the roosters, and usually ended up in fights. A 15 pound muscovy drake, Burt, fighting with a standard sized rooster could end in death and most likely, two bloody and tired boys. The bloody and tired part did happen a few times. The Khaki Campbell drake also got into a few fights with roosters.

Now to the other part of this. Drakes have a corkscrew penis, ducks have a corkscrew vagina. So the drakes penis slots perfectly in to the ducks vagina. Chickens don't have any external sexual organs, so if a drake try to breed a hen he will seriously injure her. So, can you separate the drakes of you need to?

Finally, ducks are all around messy. They can waterlog a un-duckling-afied brooder in minutes. I prefer a milk jug with a hole cut up far enough to get the ducklings head all the way in the water over a classic waterer any day!

Duck poop, of any age duck, is wet. Have a broody duck poop on your foot once and you'll never forget it! Broody duck poop is, in my opinion, one of the worst poops to encounter.

Between poop, water and mud ducks are just plain messy. Are you willing to deal with that?

Now, it might sound like I'm trying to push you away from getting ducks, but I'm not. I love ducks and all of their messy glory! And hope you do to! I just want you to know about all the unsavory parts of being a duck parent.

I wish you luck on your duck journey!

I have 4 runners (3 hens, 1 drake). The girls can be loud when they're excited, hungry, etc but the male is very quiet and has a lovely temperament. They're not as loud as my neighbors big dog and I'd much rather hear ducks than dogs!
Amen sister :lol:

Back
Top Bottom